Installation of mod_python 3.1.3 on Apache 2.0.50 on Windows Me/Win2k

Piet

Hi there,
I cannot install mod_python v3.1.3 on either Win2k/ActivePython 2.3.2
or WinMe/Python 2.3.4. When I run the Windows installer, I get the
following error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Programme\Python23\Scripts\win32_postinstall.py", line 86,
in ?
apachediroptions = getApacheDirOptions()
File "C:\Programme\Python23\Scripts\win32_postinstall.py", line 45,
in getApacheDirOptions
apachekey = regkey(win32con.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
"Software").childkey("Apache Group").childkey("Apache")
File "C:\Programme\Python23\Scripts\win32_postinstall.py", line 34,
in childkey
return regkey(self.key, subkeyname)
File "C:\Programme\Python23\Scripts\win32_postinstall.py", line 32,
in __init__
self.key = win32api.RegOpenKey(parent, subkeyname)
pywintypes.error: (2, 'RegOpenKeyEx', 'Das System kann die angegebene
Datei nicht finden.')
Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "regkey instance has no attribute
'key'" in <bound method regkey.__del__ of <__main__.regkey instance at
0x00CF1440>> ignored
*** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***
I checked the registry and found that the key mentioned in the error
message does indeed not exist. Is this a failure in my apache
configuration/installation or is the installation package of
mod_python incorrect? Are there any experiences with the
abovementioned configuration?
Thanx in advance
Peter

David Fraser

Piet said:
[...]

Hi

This error was found when installing the original mod_python 3.1.3 for
Windows installer on a non-Admin install of Python. You'll probably find
that the registry does exist, but under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, not
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

In fact mod_python has actually been installed correctly, but the
instructions about changing your apache configuration have not been
given, and the mod_python library hasn't been copied into the Apache
directory.

These issues should all be fix in the latest win32 build of mod_python
available from
http://davidf.sjsoft.com/files/mod_python-3.1.3-1.win32-py2.3.exe

Need to get Grisha to release this...

I would recommend removing the Scripts/win32_postinstall.py file before
running it...

Hope that helps, if you have errors report them here or on the
mod_python mailing list.

David

Piet

Lucas Raab said:
Why not post this to the mod_python mailing list??
The error looked like an error in some python installation scripts, so
it seemed to me more "pythonic" than "apachic". Anyways, thanks for
the hint.
Piet

David Fraser

Piet said:
The error looked like an error in some python installation scripts, so
it seemed to me more "pythonic" than "apachic". Anyways, thanks for
the hint.
Piet

mod_python is a bridge between apache and python, so it contains both
Python code and C code. the mod_python list is a good place to get help,
I would recommend joining it

Cheers
David

Piet

David Fraser said:
[...]

Hi David.
The new version worked, and I am looking forward exploring server-side
cgi-scripting with my favorite programming language. Any reason why
the new installer is not released?
Thx
Peter

David Fraser

Piet said:
Hi David.
The new version worked, and I am looking forward exploring server-side
cgi-scripting with my favorite programming language. Any reason why
the new installer is not released?
Thx
Peter

Hi Peter

I haven't had that much time to devote towards getting people to test
and give a thumbs up which is a requirement before a release.

So if you want to help please sign up to the mod_python list and say
what happened to you...

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
David