Installation of Perl/Tk on WindowsXP

Hans

Is anyone knowing how I can get and install the Perl/Tk Suite/Modul on
WindowsXP without compiling. I can't find it under Activestate. I have
installed Perl 5.6.1 Activestate on my Computer. I yet only found Tk as
source files not as binaries, and I have no VisualC++ Compiler or make
-- and nmake 1.5 doesn't work without problems.

Now for short: Does anybody know a URL where I can download Tk binairies
for WindowsXP/NT?

Thanks a lot!

Jack D.

Hans said:
Is anyone knowing how I can get and install the Perl/Tk Suite/Modul on
WindowsXP without compiling. I can't find it under Activestate. I have
installed Perl 5.6.1 Activestate on my Computer. I yet only found Tk as
source files not as binaries, and I have no VisualC++ Compiler or make
-- and nmake 1.5 doesn't work without problems.

Now for short: Does anybody know a URL where I can download Tk binairies
for WindowsXP/NT?

Use the perl package manager to install it. Ensure you are have access to the
internet, then..

Start->Run->"cmd"

Type in:
"ppm install Tk" {without the quotes}

Or you can directly download the zipped binaries from:

http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/6xx-builds-only/

...and follow the README file to install using "ppm"

Jack

Ron Reidy

See below ...
Is anyone knowing how I can get and install the Perl/Tk Suite/Modul on
WindowsXP without compiling. I can't find it under Activestate. I have
installed Perl 5.6.1 Activestate on my Computer. I yet only found Tk as
source files not as binaries, and I have no VisualC++ Compiler or make
-- and nmake 1.5 doesn't work without problems.
Did you try using 'ppm'?

Simon Andrews

Hans said:
Thank you very much, the second advice worked at last.

That failed already. So I posted this question.

If ppm fails it's nearly always because you access the internet via a
proxy, and ppm doesn't know about it. To fix this just add your
proxy information to your environment.

Right Click on "My Computer" and select Properties

Select the "Advanced" tab and press the "Environment Variables" button.

Press New:

The variable name is "http_proxy" and the value is the address and
port of your proxy server; eg "http://wwwcache.example.com:8080".

Open up a new command window and run ppm again and see if things
now work. If they don't then please post the error generated
by ppm.

PPM is just too useful a tool to not let it work!

Hope this helps

Simon.