    Is stopping the IIS the only way to update an aspx application on a server?

    Thanks a lot
    Ashley
    =?Utf-8?B?QXNobGV5?=, May 24, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QXNobGV5?=

    Pete Wright Guest

    You shouldn't really need to delete or change the name of the production
    folder at all. Once you ahve tested your application fully and are sure that
    it is ready to be deployed to a production server, just copy the new files
    over the old ones. The execution model for .NET basically copies your
    compiled assemblies to a shadow directory and runs those at runtime. When
    you copy over the existing files with new ones the ASP.NEt runtime picks up
    that the files have changed, and replaces it's shadow copies with the new
    ones. Gone are the days of shutting down IIS to upgrade web applications.

    Hope that helps. (by the way - this is all covered in the excellent book
    Essential ASP.NEt with Examples in C#, by Fritz Onion - well worth a look
    for finding out what goes on behind the scenes in ASP.NET )

    Peter Wright (www.petewright.org)
    Author of ADO.NET Novice To Pro
    From Apress. www.apress.com (and 10
    other doorstops from Wrox)

    "Ashley" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I developed a never version of my webapplication and tried to install it

    on the productive system. But I found that I can't delete or change the name
    of my application folder on the productive system because it is in use (I
    believe it is the IIS?). After stopping the IIS I could remove the old files
    and install the new ones.

    Pete Wright, May 24, 2004