Installation on productive system

Guest

Hi group

I developed a never version of my webapplication and tried to install it on the productive system. But I found that I can't delete or change the name of my application folder on the productive system because it is in use (I believe it is the IIS?). After stopping the IIS I could remove the old files and install the new ones

Is stopping the IIS the only way to update an aspx application on a server?

Thanks a lot
Ashley

Pete Wright

You shouldn't really need to delete or change the name of the production
folder at all. Once you ahve tested your application fully and are sure that
it is ready to be deployed to a production server, just copy the new files
over the old ones. The execution model for .NET basically copies your
compiled assemblies to a shadow directory and runs those at runtime. When
you copy over the existing files with new ones the ASP.NEt runtime picks up
that the files have changed, and replaces it's shadow copies with the new
ones. Gone are the days of shutting down IIS to upgrade web applications.

Hope that helps. (by the way - this is all covered in the excellent book
Essential ASP.NEt with Examples in C#, by Fritz Onion - well worth a look
for finding out what goes on behind the scenes in ASP.NET )

Peter Wright (www.petewright.org)
Author of ADO.NET Novice To Pro
From Apress. www.apress.com (and 10
other doorstops from Wrox)