Installation problem in AIX

Discussion in 'Python' started by Guest, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to install Python 2.3.4 in AIX 5.2 with gcc 2.9. After a lot
    of messing around I got the configure script to run using the following
    command (libm parameter found from python-list archives):

    configure --with-gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-libm="" --disable-ipv6

    Now I have a problem running make:

    ./Modules/makexp_aix Modules/python.exp . libpython2.3.a; gcc
    -Wl,-bE:Modules/python.exp -lld -o python Modules/ccpython.o
    libpython2.3.a
    collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file

    I had the same "not a COFF file" error during configure with libm.a
    until I added the --with-libm="" parameter.

    Can anyone help?

    Paul.

    Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement.
    This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited.
    If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

    Guest, Sep 17, 2004

    Donn Cave Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Python 2.3.4 in AIX 5.2 with gcc 2.9. After a lot
    > of messing around I got the configure script to run using the following
    > command (libm parameter found from python-list archives):
    >
    > configure --with-gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-libm="" --disable-ipv6
    >
    > Now I have a problem running make:
    >
    > ./Modules/makexp aix Modules/python.exp . libpython2.3.a; gcc
    > -Wl,-bE:Modules/python.exp -lld -o python Modules/ccpython.o
    > libpython2.3.a
    > collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file
    > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
    >
    > I had the same "not a COFF file" error during configure with libm.a
    > until I added the --with-libm="" parameter.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    If you actually could build with IBM's C compiler, do that,
    and --with-cxx=no and OPT=-qmaxmem=8192.

    Donn Cave,

    Donn Cave, Sep 17, 2004

    sibisco Guest

    hello!
    It seems I have the same problem than you but for a different
    installation. Indeed, I try to install a cross compiler for 5.1 AIX. When
    I compile gcc (withthe command make) I have this error :
    collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file
    I don't understand what it means.
    Could you help me ?
    Thanks.