Installation problem in AIX

Guest

Hello,

I'm trying to install Python 2.3.4 in AIX 5.2 with gcc 2.9. After a lot
of messing around I got the configure script to run using the following
command (libm parameter found from python-list archives):

configure --with-gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-libm="" --disable-ipv6

Now I have a problem running make:

./Modules/makexp_aix Modules/python.exp . libpython2.3.a; gcc
-Wl,-bE:Modules/python.exp -lld -o python Modules/ccpython.o
libpython2.3.a
collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file

I had the same "not a COFF file" error during configure with libm.a
until I added the --with-libm="" parameter.

Can anyone help?

Paul.

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

Donn Cave

I'm trying to install Python 2.3.4 in AIX 5.2 with gcc 2.9. After a lot
of messing around I got the configure script to run using the following
command (libm parameter found from python-list archives):

configure --with-gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-libm="" --disable-ipv6

Now I have a problem running make:

./Modules/makexp aix Modules/python.exp . libpython2.3.a; gcc
-Wl,-bE:Modules/python.exp -lld -o python Modules/ccpython.o
libpython2.3.a
collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file

I had the same "not a COFF file" error during configure with libm.a
until I added the --with-libm="" parameter.

Can anyone help?

If you actually could build with IBM's C compiler, do that,
and --with-cxx=no and OPT=-qmaxmem=8192.

Donn Cave, (e-mail address removed)

sibisco

hello!
It seems I have the same problem than you but for a different
installation. Indeed, I try to install a cross compiler for 5.1 AIX. When
I compile gcc (withthe command make) I have this error :
collect2: /lib/libld.a: not a COFF file
I don't understand what it means.
Could you help me ?
Thanks.