Installation Problem

Nathan Farrar

Let me preface my question with: I'm new to both Linux & Ruby.
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu Linux, with the intention of installing
ruby and learning and learning the language.

I immediately went to ruby-lang.com, clicked the 20 minutes link, and
proceeded to follow the debian/unbuntu downloaded instructions:

sudo apt-get install ruby1.8 irb1.8 rdoc1.8

The packages irb1.8 and rdoc1.8 cannot be found.

Booting up synaptic package manager, I searched for ruby1.8, found the
ruby1.8.4 package but when searching for irb1.8 and rdoc1.8 it only
returns the ruby1.8 package.

Perhaps this means that the instructions on the website are for the
1.8.2 version and the 1.8.4 package has all three of those packages
bundled in the ruby1.8 package?

After installing the Ruby1.8 (1.8.4 version) I followed the next
instruction: open up a shell and boot irb by using the command: "irb" -
no luck. Command not found.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong? I would really
appreciate it.

Thank you.

ts

N> The packages irb1.8 and rdoc1.8 cannot be found.

Look in the file

/etc/apt/sources.list

you'll find something like this

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
#deb http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe
#deb-src http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe

uncomment the 2 lines #deb ..., then

apt-get update # to retrieve the list of new packages
apt-get install ruby1.8 irb1.8 rdoc1.8

and normally it will find irb

Guy decoux

Nathan Farrar

Rod said:
Hi Nathan,

Let me preface my question with: I'm new to both Linux & Ruby.

I'm no Ubuntu expert either so I can only be a little help.

I immediately went to ruby-lang.com, clicked the 20 minutes link, and

Try this process with the unsupported repositories included (should be a
toggle box). I can't remember if it is labeled "hoary" or "universe" or
what but many packages live outside the primary setup that comes as
default
with the Ubuntu install.

Hope this helps, Rod.

Thanks! In synaptic I simply enabled the community supported
repositories (universe). It immediately found and installed irb.
Thanks again!