Installation question 2.5.4

JimR

I just activated a new Mailman mailing list system on a Redhat virtual
server. All was going well except the digests were not being
delivered. The logged error was to the effect of decoding Unicode not
being supported. In searching out this error, I found a reference that
suggested upgrading from Python 2.5 to 2.5.2 or higher would resolve the
error.

I completed the configure, the make and the make install. However, the
last instruction in README is to perform
pkgmanager -a /usr/python

As you may have guessed, Redhat does not have pkgmanager. What can I do
to work-around this problem and get this list running?

Thanks in advance,

ryles

I completed the configure, the make and the make install.  However, the
last instruction in README is to perform
pkgmanager -a /usr/python

As you may have guessed, Redhat does not have pkgmanager.  What can I do
to work-around this problem and get this list running?

Don't worry, Jim, you don't need this.

It looks like you're reading from an irrelevant part of the README.

Here's the only part you typically need:

------------------------------

Congratulations on getting this far. :)

To start building right away (on UNIX): type "./configure" in the
current directory and when it finishes, type "make". This creates an
executable "./python"; to install in /usr/local, first do "su root"
and then "make install".

The section `Build instructions' below is still recommended reading.

------------------------------

I suspect you may have actually set your 'prefix' to /usr/python the
first time around. If that's the case, just remember to remove that
directory, since I doubt you'll want anything housed there. The
default (/usr/local) is usually fine. That's freely changeable with:

../configure --prefix=/my/prefix

Building from source can be a pain, because you may find that several
Python modules are not successfully built (it will tell you all about
this after 'make' completes). This is usually the result of various
'devel' packages (RPMs) not being installed. If this is the case, you
might have better luck not building python yourself, and just
installing a newer RPM for it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.