    Thanks in advance,

    --
    73 de Jim, KD1YV

    JimR, Oct 17, 2009

  2. JimR

    ryles Guest

    On Oct 17, 2:22 am, JimR <> wrote:
    > I completed the configure, the make and the make install.  However, the
    > last instruction in README is to perform
    > pkgmanager -a /usr/python
    >
    > As you may have guessed, Redhat does not have pkgmanager.  What can I do
    > to work-around this problem and get this list running?

    Don't worry, Jim, you don't need this.

    It looks like you're reading from an irrelevant part of the README.

    Here's the only part you typically need:

    ------------------------------

    Congratulations on getting this far. :)

    To start building right away (on UNIX): type "./configure" in the
    current directory and when it finishes, type "make". This creates an
    executable "./python"; to install in /usr/local, first do "su root"
    and then "make install".

    The section `Build instructions' below is still recommended reading.

    ------------------------------

    I suspect you may have actually set your 'prefix' to /usr/python the
    first time around. If that's the case, just remember to remove that
    directory, since I doubt you'll want anything housed there. The
    default (/usr/local) is usually fine. That's freely changeable with:

    ../configure --prefix=/my/prefix

    Building from source can be a pain, because you may find that several
    Python modules are not successfully built (it will tell you all about
    this after 'make' completes). This is usually the result of various
    'devel' packages (RPMs) not being installed. If this is the case, you
    might have better luck not building python yourself, and just
    installing a newer RPM for it.

    Hope this helps. Good luck.

    ryles, Oct 17, 2009

  3. JimR