Installed Extensions don't work

Discussion in 'Java' started by Rhino, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    Is there some trick to making Installed Extensions work?

    I'm trying to follow the instructions in the "The Extension Mechanism" trail
    of the Java Tutorial but I'm running into problems with Installed
    Extensions. Download Extensions are working just fine but I can't get
    Installed Extensions to work at all. It's as if the jre/lib/ext directory
    isn't there at all. I think I've followed all of the instructions carefully
    and accurately but the Installed Extensions just won't work.

    I know that is a fairly skimpy description of the problem but I'm hoping
    that someone will suggest some basic possibilities before we get into all
    the details. For instance, my JDK is on the PATH but the jre/lib/ext isn't
    specified in the PATH. I assume that c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin in the PATH also
    enables programs to see down to c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\jre\lib\ext but perhaps
    that's wrong and I need to ensure that the jre/lib/ext is specifically named
    in the PATH. Nothing is said about PATH in this trail though so I may be
    going in the wrong direction with this suspicion.

    Can anyone suggest a way to verify that Installed Extensions work?

    For what it's worth, I actually tried the example suggested in the trail but
    it wouldn't compile. As basic as it was, I couldn't make it compile and
    can't see how it could possibly compile without one change: the
    instantiation of an object named RectangleArea. That makes me wonder if
    there are other basic things that are omitted from the trail.

    I've tried several different examples of varying complexities but none of
    them will work for me.

    Any suggestions about basic things to look at to diagnose this situation?

    --
    Rhino
    ---
    Rhino, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Rhino

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 00:00:45 -0400, "Rhino"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >the jre/lib/ext directory

    there are at least two of them, one embedded in the JDK and one in
    program files. For safety, add your jars to both.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    Your solution was exactly what I needed; everything works now. Thank you!

    Now, could you explain it to me?
    1. Why is the second JRE (the one in Program Files) even there? I don't
    remember installing it.
    2. When does the second JRE get used by my system/programs?
    3. Does this mean I should ignore the first JRE, the one under
    c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02 altogether? If not, when should I be using it?

    Grateful but confused,

    Rhino

    Rhino, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Rhino wrote:

    > Is there some trick to making Installed Extensions work?
    >
    > I'm trying to follow the instructions in the "The Extension Mechanism" trail
    > of the Java Tutorial but I'm running into problems with Installed
    > Extensions. Download Extensions are working just fine but I can't get
    > Installed Extensions to work at all. It's as if the jre/lib/ext directory
    > isn't there at all. I think I've followed all of the instructions carefully
    > and accurately but the Installed Extensions just won't work.
    >
    > I know that is a fairly skimpy description of the problem but I'm hoping
    > that someone will suggest some basic possibilities before we get into all
    > the details. For instance, my JDK is on the PATH but the jre/lib/ext isn't
    > specified in the PATH. I assume that c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin in the PATH also
    > enables programs to see down to c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\jre\lib\ext but perhaps
    > that's wrong and I need to ensure that the jre/lib/ext is specifically named
    > in the PATH. Nothing is said about PATH in this trail though so I may be
    > going in the wrong direction with this suspicion.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a way to verify that Installed Extensions work?
    >
    > For what it's worth, I actually tried the example suggested in the trail but
    > it wouldn't compile. As basic as it was, I couldn't make it compile and
    > can't see how it could possibly compile without one change: the
    > instantiation of an object named RectangleArea. That makes me wonder if
    > there are other basic things that are omitted from the trail.
    >
    > I've tried several different examples of varying complexities but none of
    > them will work for me.
    >
    > Any suggestions about basic things to look at to diagnose this situation?

    Prior to 1.5, java looks for extensions as you expect, but javac does
    NOT. So to compile code using such extensions you have to add them
    explicitly to the classpath, but you can execute the result without
    having the extensions in the classpath.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Apr 10, 2004