Installed Fonts List Using Firefox

Paul

Is there any way to get a list of the available fonts using Firefox?
Not specifically but, you could do some trickery to find if a specific
font is installed. So, if you start with your own list, you could
reduce that list for the user's browser.
Take a look at this:
http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/column30/index.html
Keep in mind, if you use something like that you will need to do some
pretty extensive testing.

good luck

Randy Webb

James Reid said the following on 7/31/2006 7:48 PM:
Being able to test for a particular font is good enough for one of my
applications. Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try.

BTW, I can't figure out how to make a link such as the one above into
an active link. Help!

Use a decent newsreader.

Google Groups may require it be wrapped in a <URL: Address> tag.

James Reid

Randy said:
Use a decent newsreader.

Google Groups may require it be wrapped in a <URL: Address> tag.

No tag required for Google Groups. I deleted that posting right after I
posted it because the 2nd paragraph is complete nonsense, but thanks
Randy, for replying.

RobG

Paul said:
Not specifically but, you could do some trickery to find if a specific
font is installed. So, if you start with your own list, you could
reduce that list for the user's browser.
Take a look at this:
http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/column30/index.html
Keep in mind, if you use something like that you will need to do some
pretty extensive testing.

I think the test in the script is great:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
curPage=1;
function checkIfInstalled(fname,loaded){
IE4 = document.all;
NS4 = document.layers;
ver4 = (IE4 || NS4);
if(!ver4) return false;

That 'test' guarantees that it will not run in any browser that I use -
great script!

Paul

lol,
key words were "something like that" ...
To be fair, that article was written back in 2000, when that kind of
thing was pretty common.