Installed VS 2005 professional. I see SQL expres also installed as part of it. But where do i get th

Learner

we can download the Management Studio Express for free from MS website.

I did the same thing on my personal laptop. But can we develop
applications using free downloaded Management Studio and deploy later
on with the free stuff at work?

Or else may i want to get it off Sql server 2005 that we got when we
bought the software.

May be some one can help me figuring out where i can get it off

Its kind of confusing what to install of all the CDs we got when we
bought the software.

Please bear with me the list of CDs we got when we bought the software
is:

1).Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (Disc1 & Disc 2)

2)Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (SQL Server 2005
Developer Edition 32-bit Cd1 & CD2)

3).Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition (32 bit) (Disc1 & Disc
2)

4).Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (SQL Server 2005
Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD1 and CD2)

5).Microsoft Sql server 2005 Developer Edition for Itanium-based
Systems (Disc 1 & Disc 2)

6).Microsoft Sql server 2005 Developer Edition (X64) (Disc 1 & Disc 2)

7).Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (Sql server 2005
Developer Edition 64-bit CD1 & CD2)

My work machine runs on Windows XP Prof . Of all the above CDs I
installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional alone. So i have VS 2005
installed and also SQL Express.

Can use #2 set of CDs to get Management Studio or else #3 set of CDs(i
have windows XP professional installed on my work machine)?

We have already ordered another development box from Dell and we are
going to have Windows 2003 server on that. Correct me if i am wrong, I
am guessing that #4,#5, and #6 set of CDs are designed for 64-bit
Windows 2003 server.

what is IA in #4 set of CDs and Itanium-based system in #5
respectively?

My be its confusing with lot of stupid questions i have here :)?

I have lot of questions with the new stuff. Hopefully some one can
answer my questions.

Thanks

-L

Learner

Thats what my question first question was. Can i get it off the web?
And if you could help me here my second question will be

Why can't i take off SQL express off of my computer and install SQL
server 2005 developer edition?

If yes then what set of CDs i can use to install SQL server 2005
developer edition of the above listed CDs.

set of #2 or #3?

Thanks
-L

John Timney \( MVP \)

Hi L,

I'm sorry, but I misread your question and thought you were asking where to
get the admin tool from. You can develop and deploy with the free tools
into your work environment, assuming you have them working, but use the
actual tools from your SQL disks if you can.

As to your disk question: Then any of the pro or enterprise versions would
be suitable for managing SQL DB's (2)Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Professional Edition (SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit Cd1 & CD2 or
3).Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition (32 bit) (Disc1 & Disc. Yopu
are correct that 4.5.6 are designed for 64 bit environments and your not
likely to need them.

If you have a problem in that you cant uninstall sql express to reinstall
sql server 2005? If it is, theres an issue that I believe is stil
outstanding. Theres a blog here that might help you.
http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/astebner/archive/2005/09/13/465401.aspx

Hope that helps.

Learner

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply and the link you sent me helped me understand
few things. Yes i realized that i can use any of the CDs #2 or #3 to
install the SQL server 05 Developer edition.
Thanks
-L