installer question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Guy Robinson, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Guy Robinson

    Guy Robinson Guest

    Target audience is little or no programming experience.

    I have a win32 only library I need to write an installer for. As part of the
    installation it must:
    1.. find where a program is installed
    2.. copy a file to the directory
    3.. add the directory to the pythonpath and change a ini file.
    4.. add a example directory at a user selected path.As well as add this to
    pythonpath.
    5.. Add the main library to site packages.

    There is also a package of examples which need to be independently upgradable
    and located in the main directory.

    Suggestions?
    I'm thinking disutils would make for the easiest method but as far as I can see
    you can't run a script on finishing the installation or get the user to select
    from a directory. Nor does it seem contain methods to find windows programs
    without downloading pythonwin32 as well.

    For the examples, NSIS or equivalent looks to be what I need but overly
    complicated. Can you combine NSIS and disutils? Or should I just use NSIS
    without disutils.

    Advice appreciated. The first time I've released software before ;-)

    Guy

    Guy Robinson, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Guy Robinson

    Larry Bates Guest

    Take a look at Inno Installer. You should be able to
    do everything you list. You may also want to consider
    using py2exe to package up your python program into
    ..exe prior to creating installer file. That way you
    eliminate the requirement of having python, pythonwin32
    installed and you don't have to do anything to pythonpath
    or to site packages.

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Dec 9, 2005