installing 1.8.4

Andre Munteanu

Hi,

I'm using some libraries which only work properly in ruby 1.8.4. I
currently have 1.8.5. What's the fastest/least painful way to install
1.8.5?
I tried
sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.5
but this doesn't work.
As you can tell i'm new to ruby/linux/everything.
Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

--Andrei

Andrei Munteanu

Oops! I meant "what's the fastest way to install 1.8.*4*.
I tried
sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.4
but this doesn't work.
Again, I'd like to install 1.8.4 and NOT 1.8.5.

Jano Svitok

Oops! I meant "what's the fastest way to install 1.8.*4*.
I tried
sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.4
but this doesn't work.
Again, I'd like to install 1.8.4 and NOT 1.8.5.

Hi,

as Terry said before, check if the version is still in the repos you
use. If so, the command you posted should work.

If not, you can either (1) recompile a version from an older
repository/release, or (2) compile vanilla sources from ruby-lang.org.

For (1) prevu is easy to use, for (2) just lookup some generic
install-ruby-on-debian-howto. (basically on ubuntu you'll need
build-essential package and then follow the standard unpack, make,
make test, make install)

Please check details with docs on the web, as I'm not sure here.

J.