    As you can tell i'm new to ruby/linux/everything.
    Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

    --Andrei
    Andre Munteanu, Aug 30, 2007

  2. Oops! I meant "what's the fastest way to install 1.8.*4*.
    I tried
    sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.4
    but this doesn't work.
    Again, I'd like to install 1.8.4 and NOT 1.8.5.

    Andrei Munteanu, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Andre Munteanu

    Jano Svitok Guest

    On 8/30/07, Andrei Munteanu <> wrote:
    > Oops! I meant "what's the fastest way to install 1.8.*4*.
    > I tried
    > sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.4
    > but this doesn't work.
    > Again, I'd like to install 1.8.4 and NOT 1.8.5.
    >

    > Andrei Munteanu wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm using some libraries which only work properly in ruby 1.8.4. I
    > > currently have 1.8.5. What's the fastest/least painful way to install
    > > 1.8.5?
    > > I tried
    > > sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.5
    > > but this doesn't work.
    > > As you can tell i'm new to ruby/linux/everything.
    > > Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

    Hi,

    as Terry said before, check if the version is still in the repos you
    use. If so, the command you posted should work.

    If not, you can either (1) recompile a version from an older
    repository/release, or (2) compile vanilla sources from ruby-lang.org.

    For (1) prevu is easy to use, for (2) just lookup some generic
    install-ruby-on-debian-howto. (basically on ubuntu you'll need
    build-essential package and then follow the standard unpack, make,
    make test, make install)

    Please check details with docs on the web, as I'm not sure here.

    J.
    Jano Svitok, Aug 31, 2007