Installing 2.6 on a Mac

Greg Reyna

I want to install Python 2.6 on a dual 1.42 GHz MacG4 tower running
OS 10.5.6. The Python installer wants to create the Python.framework
directory in "/Library/Frameworks" but it can't because there's an
alias of the same name in there. On this machine, Python 2.5.1 is
installed in
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5"

The "Versions" folder has within it folders for "2.3","2.5", and
"Current" (the latter is an alias to the 2.5 folder)

FYI: In the /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework folder are
aliases to Resources, CodeResorces, and the Python program itself.
These all point to the 2.5 folder.

So, my question is, can I move the alias out of
"/Library/Frameworks", let the installer do its thing, then move the
newly installed files into "/System/Library/Frameworks/" so
everything will be together? Naturally, I would follow the odd way
everything is currently installed by creating a 2.6 directory. After
that, I will exchange all the aliases so they point at the new 2.6
directory, as well as creating a new alias for "/Library/Frameworks".

I'm new at this so I wanted to check with someone who knows what
they're doing. I always heard we're not supposed to mess with the
System/Library, but I guess this is an exception.

Thanks for any help,
Greg Reyna