installing 2.6 on vista64

DwBear75

I just downloaded and attempted to install python 2.6.2. The
installer proceeds to do its work then dies, leaving an entry in the
eventlog:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Python 2.6.2.
Product Version: 2.6.2150. Product Language: 1033. Installation
success or error status: 1602.

Googling for this I wasn't able to narrow the results down to
something usable. Anyone know of issues and how to fix them installing
on vista 64 (yes, I have 8 gigs of ram)

Jaime Fernandez del Rio

I have installed the 32 bit 2.6 and the 64 bit 3.1 on my machine
running Vista 64 without any issues.

Which of course has nothing to do with your problem....

Martin v. Löwis

I just downloaded and attempted to install python 2.6.2. The
installer proceeds to do its work then dies, leaving an entry in the
eventlog:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Python 2.6.2.
Product Version: 2.6.2150. Product Language: 1033. Installation
success or error status: 1602.

Are you using subst'ed drives by any chance?
Googling for this I wasn't able to narrow the results down to
something usable. Anyone know of issues and how to fix them installing
on vista 64 (yes, I have 8 gigs of ram)

Run "msiexec /i <pythonxy.msi> /l*v python.log", and search the log file
for 1602. This should give a clue.

Regards,
Martin