installing 2 and 3 alongside on MS Windows

Ulrich Eckhardt

Hi!

I'm using Python 2.7 for mostly unit testing here. I'm using
Boost.Python to wrap C++ code into a module, in another place I'm also
embedding Python as interpreter into a test framework. This is the stuff
that must work, it's important for production use. I'm running MS
Windows XP here and developing C++ with VS2005/VC8.

What I'm considering is installing Python 3 alongside, in order to
prepare the code for this newer version. What I'd like to know first is
whether there are any problems I'm likely to encounter and possible
workarounds.

Thank you!

Uli

PS: Dear lazyweb, is there any way to teach VC8 some syntax highlighting
for Python?

Irmen de Jong

What I'm considering is installing Python 3 alongside, in order to
prepare the code for this newer version. What I'd like to know first is
whether there are any problems I'm likely to encounter and possible
workarounds.

What I'm doing myself on Windows is deciding which version of Python I want to be the
default, and install that from the msi normally (including "register extensions"
options). I then proceed to add its install location to my %PATH%.

After which I install additional Python versions but *without* selecting "register
extensions" otherwise they will overwrite the registry associations.

I have about 5 different versions coexisting peacefully in c:\python26 c:\python27
c:\python27-64, c:\python32 and c:\python33 (with python27 being the default and only
c:\python27 added to %PATH%)

In the IDE I'm using (PyCharm) you can trivially switch the Python version it will use
for your project.

Thank you!

Uli

PS: Dear lazyweb, is there any way to teach VC8 some syntax highlighting
for Python?

http://pytools.codeplex.com/ perhaps?

Irmen.