Installing a gem locally (RubyForge.org unreachable)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Phrogz, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Phrogz

    Phrogz Guest

    I'm trying to get a coworker set up, and rubygems isn't working,
    because rubyforge.org is down[1].

    I have the .gem file on my machine. How can I tell rubygems "Hey, the
    gem is sitting right here in this very directory! Install from this!"?

    [1] Tracing route to rubyforge.org [66.92.150.242]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 69.46.18.1
    2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 69.46.31.77
    3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 38.112.240.53
    4 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 66.28.4.141
    5 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 66.28.4.154
    6 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms 154.54.10.130
    7 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms 205.171.21.101
    8 32 ms 31 ms 33 ms 205.171.8.154
    9 30 ms 37 ms 31 ms 205.171.8.222
    10 30 ms 37 ms 38 ms 205.171.251.14
    11 30 ms 31 ms 30 ms 65.126.30.174
    12 * * * Request timed out.

    Phrogz, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Phrogz

    Phrogz Guest

    Just as I posted this, rubyforge.org seems to be back up again. So
    crisis averted.

    But the original question I've still wondered for a while now: How do
    you ask RubyGems to install a supplied .gem file?

    Phrogz, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Phrogz

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 04:56 +0900, Phrogz wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a coworker set up, and rubygems isn't working,
    > because rubyforge.org is down[1].

    Back up now...

    Yours,

    tom

    Tom Copeland, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Phrogz

    Jagged Guest

    gem install rails -l (that is an "el")

    Jagged, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Phrogz

    Damphyr Guest

    Jagged wrote:
    > gem install rails -l (that is an "el")

    Well, this is the correct way, but you can also run 'gem install ' on
    the directory you have the gem file (the dirty lazy way :) ).
    gem looks for a local file before going "overseas".
    Cheers,
    V.-
    --
    http://www.braveworld.net/riva

    Damphyr, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Phrogz

    Phrogz Guest

    Does that assume that there is a "rails.gem" file in the current
    directory? In the gems library folder? Somewhere else?

    Phrogz, Oct 12, 2005
  7. On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:06 AM, Phrogz wrote:

    > Does that assume that there is a "rails.gem" file in the current
    > directory? In the gems library folder? Somewhere else?

    One unambigous way to install a .gem file locally is to cd into the
    dir where the .gem file is and spell it out:

    gem install mygem.gem

    This always seems to work for me.
    Cheers-
    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz