    module, for some reason I cannot install any module via activeperl perl
    package manager, how can I manually install an activeperl module after
    downloading the tar file?
    Nospam, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Nospam

    Guest

    On Mar 18, 8:34 am, "Nospam" <> wrote:
    > does anyone know how I might be able to manually install an activeperl
    > module, for some reason I cannot install any module via activeperl perl
    > package manager, how can I manually install an activeperl module after
    > downloading the tar file?

    Assuming that after you've extracted the file, you just have a .pm
    file, usually it will run OK if you just put it in the same directory
    as the Perl file which needs it. The default directory for Perl
    modules with ActivePerl is

    C:\Perl\lib

    so you can just put your module into that directory. If your module is
    called by something like

    use Bogus::Nonsense;

    then it would go into a directory like this:

    C:\Perl\lib\Bogus\Nonsense.pm

    If your module also has C files and XS files, then I don't know what
    to do on Windows, except suggest getting Cygwin.
    , Mar 18, 2008

  3. Nospam

    sisyphus Guest

    On Mar 18, 10:34 am, "Nospam" <> wrote:
    > does anyone know how I might be able to manually install an activeperl
    > module

    It's basically the same process as for installing modules on any other
    OS:

    1) Download the module's source from CPAN;
    2) Extract the source to some location;
    3) cd to the top level source folder;
    4) run 'perl Makefile.PL', 'make test' and 'make install' (in that
    order).

    I use the term 'make' in a generic sense. I recommend that you install
    'dmake' (freely available from CPAN) and use that instead of 'make'.
    It's just a matter of installing 'dmake' as per the instructions that
    ship with it, and then adding the location of 'dmake.exe' to your
    path.

    For many (most) modules, you'll also need a compiler - I recommend the
    freely available MinGW port of gcc. Once installed, add C:\MinGW\bin
    to your path (assuming that you installed into C:\MinGW). The dmake/
    MinGW combo works fine with ActivePerl.

    You could, if you like, save yourself some trouble and install
    Strawberry Perl (which ships with both dmake and MinGW - and sets up
    your path for you as part of the installation process).

    Cygwin, as also suggested, is definitely an option. It, like
    Strawberry Perl, also ships with its own make (called 'make') and
    ('gcc') compiler - but it's an inferior option in my opinion (unless
    you particularly want to do unixy things on Windows).

    You might find enlightenment at http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=614808,
    but there's also an abundance of other useful information at perlmonks
    - take a look through http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=519392
    .

    Cheers,
    Rob