installing another Web Site Project inside my existing VS2005 website project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Dob, May 23, 2006.

  1. Rob Dob

    Rob Dob Guest

    Hi,

    How do I go about installing another Web Site Project inside my existing
    VS2005 website project. I currently have both a forum WSP and my main WSP
    application within the same solution. Both compile and run without error.
    However they are separate applications and I would like to have them
    together in order to make use of my masterpages, and share controls between.
    Do I need to combine the web.config files? I figured I would just create a
    folder within my current main WSP ( Web Site PRoject ) and call it something
    like Forum and then copy the contents of the working Forum Web Site Project
    into this new "Forum" folder, but what do I need to do from there?, What
    about the app_code folder should I merge the contents from both, how about
    the web.config, am I allowed to have two? one in each folder? I'm not sure
    if I'm going about this the correct way but what I'l trying to do is
    integrate a forum into my main website project, also my main website makes
    use of master pages, so ideally I would just link to include the forum
    located within the other WSP into the content area of my main WSP forum
    page. Is there perhaps a better way to accomplish this. i.e. could I make
    thie other WSP forum project into a user control or something that I could
    then embed directly into the content page of another main WSP page, much in
    the same manner as I would embed a VS tool? or am I best to try and merge
    the two WSP projects together.

    Any and all advice would be grealt appreciated.

    Also both my vs2005 applications are website projects, not the new Website
    Application Projects.

    All help would be appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Back to top
    Rob Dob, May 23, 2006

  2. Rob Dob

    Kerem OZMAN Guest

    If I'm not mistaken virtual folders are considered to be application
    boundaries for web applications. I mean, for instance, you can not load
    controls dynamically if controls are residing in a different virtual folder
    than your web application's. And every virtual folder can have a web.config
    file within its root (This also applies for the nested virtual folders
    scenario.) . You might consider using location element and its path
    attribute (in web.config) to restrict access to specific portion of your web
    pages. That might save you from using two different web.config files and two
    different virtual folders. So you can use a single virtual folder for your
    web application and create a non-virtual folder within that virtual folder
    to put your forum specific controls and pages and restrict access to those
    pages by using location element in your web applications web.config file. Or
    you may create some class libraries and web control libraries combined to
    package your -embeddable- forum service and then implement that to your web
    application. The second one seems like a better solution to me since that
    would achieve true modularity.

    Kerem OZMAN, May 23, 2006

  3. Rob Dob

    Rob Dob Guest

    Hi,

    ">Or
    > you may create some class libraries and web control libraries combined to
    > package your -embeddable- forum service and then implement that to your
    > web application. The second one seems like a better solution to me since
    > that would achieve true modularity.

    "

    Is it a difficult venture to take an existing vs 2005 website project and
    convert it to a web control library?

    Also I guess combining the two projext is NOT the recommended approach
    coorrect?

    Thanks for all your help.
    Rob Dob, May 23, 2006