    A bit circular, isn't it?

    --
    Daniel
    Daniel Norton, Jul 10, 2008

  2. Daniel Norton

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Daniel Norton wrote:
    > Here, under "Installing Ant"
    >
    > http://ant.apache.org/manual/
    >
    > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > where you installed Ant."
    >
    > A bit circular, isn't it?

    Not really.

    You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
    variable to point to C:\Ant.

    How is that circular ?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 10, 2008

  3. On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:42 -0700, Daniel Norton wrote:

    > Here, under "Installing Ant"
    >
    > http://ant.apache.org/manual/
    >
    > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > where you installed Ant."
    >
    > A bit circular, isn't it?

    Not really. You'll be running ant from your project directories, which
    have no fixed relationship to the installation directory.

    The 'ant' command is a shell script which is typically on your search
    path. It needs to (a) run code in a number of jar files in the ant library
    directory and (b) read config files in the ant etc directory. $ANT_HOME
    references the directory that contains both of these directories.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. |
    Martin Gregorie, Jul 10, 2008
  4. "Martin Gregorie" <martin@see_sig_for_address.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:42 -0700, Daniel Norton wrote:
    >
    >> Here, under "Installing Ant"
    >>
    >> http://ant.apache.org/manual/
    >>
    >> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    >> where you installed Ant."
    >>
    >> A bit circular, isn't it?
    >>

    > Not really. You'll be running ant from your project directories, which
    > have no fixed relationship to the installation directory.
    >
    > The 'ant' command is a shell script which is typically on your search
    > path. It needs to (a) run code in a number of jar files in the ant library
    > directory and (b) read config files in the ant etc directory. $ANT_HOME
    > references the directory that contains both of these directories.

    Funnier if it were $ANT_HILL, of course.
    Mike Schilling, Jul 11, 2008
  5. Daniel Norton

    Evans Guest

    On Jul 10, 10:46 pm, Daniel Norton <> wrote:
    > Here, under "Installing Ant"
    >
    >  http://ant.apache.org/manual/
    >
    > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > where you installed Ant."
    >
    > A bit circular, isn't it?
    >
    > --
    > Daniel

    Come to think of it, you don't need to install it if you're using
    Eclipse or NetBeans, it comes already packaged with your installation.

    That said, I don't think its circular - just add 'C:\ant\bin' to your
    Path assuming you unzipped ant to your 'C:\' drive.

    --
    Evans
    http://www.jroller.com/evans
    Evans, Jul 11, 2008
  6. Daniel Norton wrote:

    > Here, under "Installing Ant"

    > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > where you installed Ant."

    "To Understand Recursion, You Must First Understand Recursion"

    SCNR :)

    Best Regards
    --
    Michael Justin
    SCJP, SCJA
    Michael Justin, Jul 13, 2008
  7. On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Daniel Norton wrote:
    > > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > > where you installed Ant."

    > > A bit circular, isn't it?

    > Not really.
    >
    > You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
    > variable to point to C:\Ant.
    >
    > How is that circular ?

    I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
    package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
    installation.

    The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
    environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

    --
    Daniel
    Daniel Norton, Jul 18, 2008
  8. Daniel Norton

    Lew Guest

    On Jul 18, 9:23 am, Daniel Norton <> wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >
    > > Daniel Norton wrote:
    > > > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    > > > where you installed Ant."

    > > > A bit circular, isn't it?

    > > Not really.

    > > You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
    > > variable to point to C:\Ant.

    > > How is that circular ?

    > I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
    > package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
    > installation.
    >
    > The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
    > environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

    Since the installation of Ant consists of copying it, there is no
    difference between the two expressions "copying Ant" and "installing
    Ant".

    --
    Lew
    'You might just as well say,' added the Dormouse, who seemed to be

    'It IS the same thing with you,' said the Hatter.
    Lew, Jul 18, 2008
  9. Daniel Norton

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Daniel Norton wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Daniel Norton wrote:
    >>> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
    >>> where you installed Ant."
    >>> A bit circular, isn't it?

    >> Not really.
    >>
    >> You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
    >> variable to point to C:\Ant.
    >>
    >> How is that circular ?

    > I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
    > package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
    > installation.
    >
    > The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
    > environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

    Why ?

    The procedure is:
    1) you install ant (it is a simple unzip)
    2) you set ANT_HOME to point to that

    Natural order. Nothing circular.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 19, 2008