Installing CPAN module that has no PPM package

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by tbone, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. tbone

    tbone Guest

    I want to install the podcast aggregator modules MP3::podcastFetch

    I have ActiveState Perl 5.10, and I would like to use some CPAN
    modules that are not (yet) supported via PPM.

    I've fiddled with things for a while and have arrived at what seems to
    be an impasse. I got a compatible version of nmake from MS, and I have
    Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine. But for some reason,
    I can't get the compiles to run properly.

    Using vcvars32.at from VS6, I get this compilerok.log file:

    Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-nodefaultlib'
    Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option
    '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-machine\:x86'
    compilerok.c
    LINK : LNK4073: cannot create map for .ILK file; linking
    nonincrementally
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "pt\:ref\,icf.exe"

    Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8, I get this compilerok.log file:

    cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and
    will be removed in a future release
    cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    '-nodefaultlib'
    cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    '-machine\:x86'
    compilerok.c
    LINK : cannot create map for .ILK file; linking nonincrementally
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'pt\:ref\,icf.exe'

    Any pointers?

    Thx
    tbone
    tbone, Jan 9, 2009

  2. tbone

    George Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:18:29 -0500, tbone wrote:

    > I want to install the podcast aggregator modules MP3::podcastFetch
    >
    > I have ActiveState Perl 5.10, and I would like to use some CPAN
    > modules that are not (yet) supported via PPM.
    >
    > I've fiddled with things for a while and have arrived at what seems to
    > be an impasse. I got a compatible version of nmake from MS, and I have
    > Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine. But for some reason,
    > I can't get the compiles to run properly.
    >

    > Using vcvars32.at from VS6, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-nodefaultlib'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-machine\:x86'
    > compilerok.c
    > LINK : LNK4073: cannot create map for .ILK file; linking
    > nonincrementally
    > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "pt\:ref\,icf.exe"
    >
    > Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >
    > cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and
    > will be removed in a future release
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-nodefaultlib'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-machine\:x86'
    > compilerok.c
    > LINK : cannot create map for .ILK file; linking nonincrementally
    > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'pt\:ref\,icf.exe'
    >
    > Any pointers?
    >
    > Thx
    > tbone

    Are you on windows?
    --
    George

    Any government that supports, protects or harbours terrorists is complicit
    in the murder of the innocent and equally guilty of terrorist crimes.
    George W. Bush

    Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
    George, Jan 10, 2009

  3. tbone

    Tim Greer Guest

    George wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:18:29 -0500, tbone wrote:
    >
    >> I want to install the podcast aggregator modules MP3::podcastFetch
    >>
    >> I have ActiveState Perl 5.10, and I would like to use some CPAN
    >> modules that are not (yet) supported via PPM.
    >>
    >> I've fiddled with things for a while and have arrived at what seems
    >> to be an impasse. I got a compatible version of nmake from MS, and I
    >> have Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine. But for some
    >> reason, I can't get the compiles to run properly.
    >>

    >> Using vcvars32.at from VS6, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >>
    >> Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-nodefaultlib'
    >> Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    >> Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option
    >> '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    >> Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-machine\:x86'
    >> compilerok.c
    >> LINK : LNK4073: cannot create map for .ILK file; linking
    >> nonincrementally
    >> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "pt\:ref\,icf.exe"
    >>
    >> Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >>
    >> cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and
    >> will be removed in a future release
    >> cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    >> '-nodefaultlib'
    >> cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    >> cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    >> '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    >> cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    >> '-machine\:x86'
    >> compilerok.c
    >> LINK : cannot create map for .ILK file; linking nonincrementally
    >> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'pt\:ref\,icf.exe'
    >>
    >> Any pointers?
    >>
    >> Thx
    >> tbone

    > Are you on windows?

    The OP said:

    "I have ActiveState Perl 5.10"

    "I got a compatible version of nmake from MS"

    "I have Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine"

    "Using vcvars32.at from VS6"

    "-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE""

    "Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8"

    So, these very likely are an answer that they are on a Windows system,
    for future reference.
    Tim Greer, Jan 10, 2009
  4. tbone

    Tim Greer Guest

    tbone wrote:

    > I want to install the podcast aggregator modules MP3::podcastFetch
    >
    > I have ActiveState Perl 5.10, and I would like to use some CPAN
    > modules that are not (yet) supported via PPM.
    >
    > I've fiddled with things for a while and have arrived at what seems to
    > be an impasse. I got a compatible version of nmake from MS, and I have
    > Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine. But for some reason,
    > I can't get the compiles to run properly.
    >

    > Using vcvars32.at from VS6, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-nodefaultlib'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    > Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-machine\:x86'
    > compilerok.c
    > LINK : LNK4073: cannot create map for .ILK file; linking
    > nonincrementally
    > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "pt\:ref\,icf.exe"
    >
    > Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8, I get this compilerok.log file:
    >
    > cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and
    > will be removed in a future release
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-nodefaultlib'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE"'
    > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
    > '-machine\:x86'
    > compilerok.c
    > LINK : cannot create map for .ILK file; linking nonincrementally
    > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'pt\:ref\,icf.exe'
    >
    > Any pointers?
    >
    > Thx
    > tbone

    Are you able to compile/build other modules okay? It is interesting to
    note that it's showing it can't open 'pt\:ref\,icf.exe'. That should
    be '\opt\:ref\,icf.exe' (opt, rather than pt). Can you remove those
    switches from the CL (CL.EXE) command line, maybe to LINK(.EXE)?
    Sorry, I've not used Windows for over a decade now, so my suggestion
    might not help.
    Tim Greer, Jan 10, 2009
  5. tbone

    George Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:17:15 -0800, Tim Greer wrote:

    > George wrote:

    >> Are you on windows?

    > The OP said:
    >
    > "I have ActiveState Perl 5.10"
    >
    > "I got a compatible version of nmake from MS"
    >
    > "I have Visual Studio 6 and 8 installed on this machine"
    >
    > "Using vcvars32.at from VS6"
    >
    > "-libpath\:"C\:\\Perl\\lib\\CORE""
    >
    > "Using vcvarsall.bat from VS8"
    >
    > So, these very likely are an answer that they are on a Windows system,
    > for future reference.

    It certainly would seem so. Rightly or not, I associate perl folks more
    with the linux crowd.

    When I started in with activestate, figuring out the modules was a huge
    part of it. One difficulty is that the names aren't specified uniquely and
    unambigously. Many times, you have to use cpan to figure out exactly which
    module you are looking for.

    When you find the right one, it has to go in a certain folder in your
    activestate install, the name of which corresponds somewhat to the module
    name. I think it's in the lib subfolder of the site folder.

    I'm obviously rusty with this information, but I hope my recollections
    help.

    Cheers,
    --
    George

    I believe in the transformational power of liberty. I believe that the free
    Iraq is in this nation's interests. I believe a free Afghanistan is in this
    nation's interest.

    George, Jan 11, 2009