Installing CPAN modules in production system

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Yogi, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. Yogi

    Yogi Guest

    Hi All,

    I am a Perl developer writing some programs to read mails using IMAP/
    POP3 modules (and some other modules as well). I have installed these
    modules in our development machine (after trying hard). Now we have
    to ship this product to our client. My question is, how to make
    depedent modules available in production envt? Merely copying of
    these modules to @INC location will work or sysadmin will have to use
    CPAN interface to install these modules?

    My worry is our client might not be willing to install something
    directly to production system (Linux in this case). Any help as how
    these kind of scenarios are dealt?

    Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

    Regards,
    -Y
    Yogi, Aug 7, 2008

  2. Yogi

    Guest

    On Aug 7, 3:43 am, Yogi <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am a Perl developer writing some programs to read mails using IMAP/
    > POP3 modules (and some other modules as well).  I have installed these
    > modules in our development machine (after trying hard).  Now we have
    > to ship this product to our client.  My question is, how to make
    > depedent modules available in production envt?  Merely copying of
    > these modules to @INC location will work or sysadmin will have to use
    > CPAN interface to install these modules?
    >
    > My worry is our client might not be willing to install something
    > directly to production system (Linux in this case).  Any help as how
    > these kind of scenarios are dealt?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
    >
    > Regards,
    > -Y

    When I shopped around for hosting of Perl scripts at godaddy, yahoo,
    etc., I was told that they'd
    support a few standard modules (e.g. WWW::Mechanize was not installed)
    and won't install any
    new ones. Looks like you need to talk to the Linux admin. AFAIK, you
    can hot-deploy perl modules
    if you are the super user.

    HTH
    , Aug 7, 2008

  3. Yogi

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:43:35 -0700 (PDT) Yogi <> wrote:

    Y> I am a Perl developer writing some programs to read mails using IMAP/
    Y> POP3 modules (and some other modules as well). I have installed these
    Y> modules in our development machine (after trying hard). Now we have
    Y> to ship this product to our client. My question is, how to make
    Y> depedent modules available in production envt? Merely copying of
    Y> these modules to @INC location will work or sysadmin will have to use
    Y> CPAN interface to install these modules?

    It's best to use CPAN. If the modules are pure Perl you can just copy
    them, but it will create administration issues.

    Y> My worry is our client might not be willing to install something
    Y> directly to production system (Linux in this case). Any help as how
    Y> these kind of scenarios are dealt?

    They are installing your programs, right? Just ask them to locate the
    modules under a different directory and do `use lib ...' to use it.

    You can also use PAR, see http://search.cpan.org/dist/PAR/lib/PAR/FAQ.pod#Can_PAR_bundle_all_its_prerequisites?

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Yogi wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am a Perl developer writing some programs to read mails using IMAP/
    > POP3 modules (and some other modules as well). I have installed these
    > modules in our development machine (after trying hard). Now we have
    > to ship this product to our client. My question is, how to make
    > depedent modules available in production envt? Merely copying of
    > these modules to @INC location will work or sysadmin will have to use
    > CPAN interface to install these modules?
    >
    > My worry is our client might not be willing to install something
    > directly to production system (Linux in this case). Any help as how
    > these kind of scenarios are dealt?

    If you can install a Perl script, you can probably install most perl
    modules in any subdirectory you have write access to, without needing
    privileged/root/administrator access.

    There's probably an answer in perlfaq*. I can't find it, but this is close:

    perldoc -q "add a directory to my include path"

    --
    RGB
    RedGrittyBrick, Aug 7, 2008
  5. Yogi

    Yogi Guest

    On Aug 7, 6:51 pm, RedGrittyBrick <>
    wrote:
    > Yogi wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am a Perl developer writing some programs to read mails using IMAP/
    > > POP3 modules (and some other modules as well).  I have installed these
    > > modules in our development machine (after trying hard).  Now we have
    > > to ship this product to our client.  My question is, how to make
    > > depedent modules available in production envt?  Merely copying of
    > > these modules to @INC location will work or sysadmin will have to use
    > > CPAN interface to install these modules?

    > > My worry is our client might not be willing to install something
    > > directly to production system (Linux in this case).  Any help as how
    > > these kind of scenarios are dealt?

    > If you can install a Perl script, you can probably install most perl
    > modules in any subdirectory you have write access to, without needing
    > privileged/root/administrator access.
    >
    > There's probably an answer in perlfaq*. I can't find it, but this is close:
    >
    > perldoc -q "add a directory to my include path"
    >
    > --
    > RGB

    Yeah. I was too thinking about PAR to ship required modules (I
    checked for document for win32 envt) but was little worried as that
    document was talking something about DLLs. As RBG pointed out, I might
    use PERL5LIB envt variable to include other lib directories. Pl
    correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks again.
    Yogi, Aug 7, 2008
  6. RedGrittyBrick <> wrote:

    > There's probably an answer in perlfaq*. I can't find it, but this is close:

    perldoc -q module

    How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad J McClellan, Aug 8, 2008