installing eclipse, step by step instructions

My Python

greetings All,

Looking for step by step instructions to install eclipse (to use as an
IDE as well as run time debugger for multi-threaded apps written using
C++/pthreads) on Sun Solaris 10.

Please show the URL where to get eclipse from and step by step
install, sample configure etc.

help is appreciated!

thanks!

Ian Collins

greetings All,

Looking for step by step instructions to install eclipse (to use as an
IDE as well as run time debugger for multi-threaded apps written using
C++/pthreads) on Sun Solaris 10.

Please show the URL where to get eclipse from and step by step
install, sample configure etc.

Why don't you use SunStudio? If you are building for Solaris the Studio
tools are a better choice.

My Python

Why don't you use SunStudio?  If you are building for Solaris the Studio
tools are a better choice.

From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
app, the developer is able to
control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
have not used Sun Studio
but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

Please let me know if this feature is available in Sun Studio. Even if
this feature is not available in Sun Studio,
I am willing to check it out -- but need instructions to install it.

I have no admin skills on Unix, so things need to be explained how to
install in my
user account, step by step. The sys admins at my work won't help me or
listen to me, unless I can
convince the mgmt I can save bucks for them by making things *less
time consuming*

Help and response is very much appreciated!
(p.s: If it matters I am a seasoned Visual Studio/.NET developer from
the Microsoft track, it is hard to believe
all the work I need to do get there to use a visual debugger on Unix!)

TIA!

Ian Collins

From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
app, the developer is able to
control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
have not used Sun Studio
but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

Please let me know if this feature is available in Sun Studio. Even if
this feature is not available in Sun Studio,

Yes, dbx has always been better at handling threads than gdb. Studio
also comes with static analysis tools for threaded applications.
I am willing to check it out -- but need instructions to install it.

They come with it.

pasa

From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
app, the developer is able to
control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
have not used Sun Studio
but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

I used Sun Workshop back in 1996. It came with tutorial on debugging,
that used a supplied program 'freeway'. That simulated traffic on a
road in highly multithreaded manner. Hopefully they did not go
backwards in all the time passed. ;-)

Christopher

I used Sun Workshop back in 1996. It came with tutorial on debugging,
that used a supplied program 'freeway'.  That simulated traffic on a
road in highly multithreaded manner.  Hopefully they did not go
backwards in all the time passed. ;-)

Isn't this all a little OT?