    install, sample configure etc.

    help is appreciated!

    thanks!
    My Python, Jun 2, 2011

  2. My Python

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 06/ 2/11 02:13 PM, My Python wrote:
    > greetings All,
    >
    > Looking for step by step instructions to install eclipse (to use as an
    > IDE as well as run time debugger for multi-threaded apps written using
    > C++/pthreads) on Sun Solaris 10.
    >
    > Please show the URL where to get eclipse from and step by step
    > install, sample configure etc.

    Why don't you use SunStudio? If you are building for Solaris the Studio
    tools are a better choice.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Jun 2, 2011

  3. My Python

    My Python Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:32 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > On 06/ 2/11 02:13 PM, My Python wrote:
    >
    > > greetings All,

    > > Looking for step by step instructions to install eclipse (to use as an
    > > IDE as well as run time debugger for multi-threaded apps written using
    > > C++/pthreads) on Sun Solaris 10.

    > > Please show the URL where to get eclipse from and step by step
    > > install, sample configure etc.

    > Why don't you use SunStudio?  If you are building for Solaris the Studio
    > tools are a better choice.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins

    From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
    app, the developer is able to
    control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
    have not used Sun Studio
    but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

    Please let me know if this feature is available in Sun Studio. Even if
    this feature is not available in Sun Studio,
    I am willing to check it out -- but need instructions to install it.

    I have no admin skills on Unix, so things need to be explained how to
    install in my
    user account, step by step. The sys admins at my work won't help me or
    listen to me, unless I can
    convince the mgmt I can save bucks for them by making things *less
    time consuming*

    Help and response is very much appreciated!
    (p.s: If it matters I am a seasoned Visual Studio/.NET developer from
    the Microsoft track, it is hard to believe
    all the work I need to do get there to use a visual debugger on Unix!)

    TIA!
    My Python, Jun 2, 2011
  4. My Python

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 06/ 2/11 02:42 PM, My Python wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 10:32 pm, Ian Collins<> wrote:
    >> On 06/ 2/11 02:13 PM, My Python wrote:
    >>
    >>> greetings All,

    >>> Looking for step by step instructions to install eclipse (to use as an
    >>> IDE as well as run time debugger for multi-threaded apps written using
    >>> C++/pthreads) on Sun Solaris 10.

    >>> Please show the URL where to get eclipse from and step by step
    >>> install, sample configure etc.

    >> Why don't you use SunStudio? If you are building for Solaris the Studio
    >> tools are a better choice.
    >>

    > From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
    > app, the developer is able to
    > control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
    > have not used Sun Studio
    > but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.
    >
    > Please let me know if this feature is available in Sun Studio. Even if
    > this feature is not available in Sun Studio,

    Yes, dbx has always been better at handling threads than gdb. Studio
    also comes with static analysis tools for threaded applications.

    > I am willing to check it out -- but need instructions to install it.

    They come with it.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Jun 2, 2011
  5. My Python

    pasa Guest

    "My Python" <>
    >> Why don't you use SunStudio? If you are building for Solaris the Studio
    >> tools are a better choice.

    >From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
    >app, the developer is able to
    >control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
    >have not used Sun Studio
    >but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

    I used Sun Workshop back in 1996. It came with tutorial on debugging,
    that used a supplied program 'freeway'. That simulated traffic on a
    road in highly multithreaded manner. Hopefully they did not go
    backwards in all the time passed. ;-)
    pasa, Jun 2, 2011
  6. My Python

    Christopher Guest

    On Jun 2, 5:14 am, pasa <> wrote:
    > "My Python" <>
    >
    > >> Why don't you use SunStudio? If you are building for Solaris the Studio
    > >> tools are a better choice.

    > >From what I have heard: In eclipse, while debugging a multithreaded
    > >app, the developer is able to
    > >control threads using the IDE (pause/resume, activate/inactive etc.) I
    > >have not used Sun Studio
    > >but I am not opposed to using Sun Studio if this feature is available.

    > I used Sun Workshop back in 1996. It came with tutorial on debugging,
    > that used a supplied program 'freeway'.  That simulated traffic on a
    > road in highly multithreaded manner.  Hopefully they did not go
    > backwards in all the time passed. ;-)

    Isn't this all a little OT?
    Christopher, Jun 2, 2011