Installing IIS and it does not serve ASP pages

Billy

I'm having a issue with one box where it will not serve
any ASP pages, even when i browse them from the IIS
manager directly. Is there something I should look at
to 'enable' serving asp pages? Normally this is faairly
straight forward but I am stubbling here

Jeff Cochran

I'm having a issue with one box where it will not serve
any ASP pages, even when i browse them from the IIS
manager directly. Is there something I should look at
to 'enable' serving asp pages? Normally this is faairly
straight forward but I am stubbling here

1) You can't browse for the IIS Manager and expect to server ASP.
ASP must be processed through a server, so it has to be loaded as a
URL (http://www.sample.com/myscript.asp)

2) The rest of the answer will depend greatly on your IIS version,
your other settings, whether you run AV or firewall software, URLScan
or the IIS Lockdown tool and what *exactly* you *do* see when you try
this.

Jeff

Tom B

I think you misunderstood what he meant by browsing from the IIS manager --
if you right click a site/directory there's a browse option that opens the
browser to the correct URL

Tom B

What version of IIS is it? I believe IIS 6.0 disables ASP by default, and
needs to be turned on.

Jeff Cochran

I think you misunderstood what he meant by browsing from the IIS manager --
if you right click a site/directory there's a browse option that opens the
browser to the correct URL

Or, he's browsing the directory structure in the MMC and double
clicking to launch the file... :)

Jeff

Billy

It's IIS 5.0 and i dug into the log:

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'.
The error was 'No such interface supported'.

I scanned the knowledgebase and no real answer was found.

Billy

Yes thats correct, right click and browse..

It's IIS 5.0 and i dug into the log:

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'.
The error was 'No such interface supported'.

I scanned the knowledgebase and no real answer was found.

Jeff Cochran

It's IIS 5.0 and i dug into the log:

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'.
The error was 'No such interface supported'.

I scanned the knowledgebase and no real answer was found.

Should've scanned the newsgroups or Googled them. It gets posted a
couple dozen times a month. :)

Make sure you post the event ID and source when you post the event log
entry, or look them up at eventid.net. My guess is it was an ID of
36, source of W3SVC. Most common cause is Crystal Reports 8 (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286814 to
fix) or a Code Red/Nimda infection (Virus scanners all gte this now,
and you should have instaled the security fixes a year ago...).

For others, see:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36&source=w3svc

Jeff