Installing IPython on win2k

Dave Merrill

Hi, I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having trouble
getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would be
much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

First downloaded and installed PythonWin, readline and ctypes. They're all
pretty clearly here and working, because I can run PythonWin, and from
there, importing readline and ctypes works.

Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I double-click
setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
importing ipython as a test fails.

I tried moving the whole unzipped dir to site-packages, no difference.

Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to .py,
still no difference.

My apologies for this basic question, and my no doubt ignorant flailing
about. Very much looking forward to getting this working.

Thanks,

Dave Merrill

Tim G

Dave said:
Hi, I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having trouble
getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would be
much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

First of all, rest assured that it does work (and quite
easily) so welcome to Python and iPython and I hope
the going's a bit smoother as you go along.
Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I double-click
setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
importing ipython as a test fails.

First of all, ipython isn't really an import into python; you run
it and it runs python (if you understand me). So when you've
installed it, I think it puts an item on your start menu. On
linux, it puts an executable ipython onto your path.

I've just downloaded and run the setup.py, and it does
create a Start Menu item which will start iPython. Look
out for that and see if it does the business.
Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to ..py,
still no difference.

This is a unixism. Some unix types decry the use of file extensions
because the information the extension gives -- which executable
program to use -- is already embedded in the first line of a file.
My apologies for this basic question, and my no doubt ignorant flailing
about. Very much looking forward to getting this working.

Thanks,

Dave Merrill

Good luck and happy hunting

TJG

Dave Merrill

"Tim G" wrote in message
First of all, rest assured that it does work (and quite
easily) so welcome to Python and iPython and I hope
the going's a bit smoother as you go along.

I'm having fun with python itself, but feeling a little constrained in the
IDE and debugger departments. (Not to mention the clues I haven't got...).

First of all, ipython isn't really an import into python; you run
it and it runs python (if you understand me). So when you've
installed it, I think it puts an item on your start menu. On
linux, it puts an executable ipython onto your path.

I've just downloaded and run the setup.py, and it does
create a Start Menu item which will start iPython. Look
out for that and see if it does the business.

Removed the files I'd unzipped and started over, putting a fresh unzip in
Program Files. Ran setup.py while watching the windows task list, and
pythonw ran for just a second, then disappeared. I saw no other signs of
anything running, and there's no shortcut for ipython in my start menu.

This is a unixism. Some unix types decry the use of file extensions
because the information the extension gives -- which executable
program to use -- is already embedded in the first line of a file.

So what do I do to try ipython directly, bypassing the shortcut (since I can
make my own later)? I tried right-click on scripts/ipython, Open With, and
chose python, but got only a quick DOS window.

Now what?

Thanks,

Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill

Fernando replied to a similar post of mine on the IPython list, and had a
suggestion that for some unknown reason, worked. Or rather, what's unknown
is why normal setup failed.

For the benefit of anyone else who has this issue, I unzipped the files into

C:\Program Files\ipython-0.6.6

....then opened a DOS window, and did the following two cmds:

cd C:\Program Files\ipython-0.6.6
"C:\Program Files\Python23\python.exe" setup.py install

Tons of DOS cmds spat out, the shortcut was created, and launching it
brought up the config wizard, then ipython.

I'd really love it if ipython could be invoked in the current debugger
context in PyDev under Eclipse. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks again,

Dave Merrill