Installing IPython on win2k

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Merrill, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill Guest

    Hi, I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having trouble
    getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would be
    much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

    First downloaded and installed PythonWin, readline and ctypes. They're all
    pretty clearly here and working, because I can run PythonWin, and from
    there, importing readline and ctypes works.

    Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I double-click
    setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
    importing ipython as a test fails.

    I tried moving the whole unzipped dir to site-packages, no difference.

    Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
    extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to .py,
    still no difference.

    My apologies for this basic question, and my no doubt ignorant flailing
    about. Very much looking forward to getting this working.

    Thanks,

    Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Dave Merrill

    Tim G Guest

    Dave Merrill wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having

    trouble
    > getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would

    be
    > much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

    First of all, rest assured that it does work (and quite
    easily) so welcome to Python and iPython and I hope
    the going's a bit smoother as you go along.

    > Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I

    double-click
    > setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
    > importing ipython as a test fails.

    First of all, ipython isn't really an import into python; you run
    it and it runs python (if you understand me). So when you've
    installed it, I think it puts an item on your start menu. On
    linux, it puts an executable ipython onto your path.

    I've just downloaded and run the setup.py, and it does
    create a Start Menu item which will start iPython. Look
    out for that and see if it does the business.

    > Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
    > extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to

    ..py,
    > still no difference.

    This is a unixism. Some unix types decry the use of file extensions
    because the information the extension gives -- which executable
    program to use -- is already embedded in the first line of a file.

    > My apologies for this basic question, and my no doubt ignorant

    flailing
    > about. Very much looking forward to getting this working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Merrill

    Good luck and happy hunting

    TJG

    Tim G, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill Guest

    "Tim G" wrote in message
    > Dave Merrill wrote:
    > > Hi, I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having

    > trouble
    > > getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would

    > be
    > > much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

    > First of all, rest assured that it does work (and quite
    > easily) so welcome to Python and iPython and I hope
    > the going's a bit smoother as you go along.

    I'm having fun with python itself, but feeling a little constrained in the
    IDE and debugger departments. (Not to mention the clues I haven't got...).

    > > Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I

    > double-click
    > > setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
    > > importing ipython as a test fails.

    > First of all, ipython isn't really an import into python; you run
    > it and it runs python (if you understand me). So when you've
    > installed it, I think it puts an item on your start menu. On
    > linux, it puts an executable ipython onto your path.
    >
    > I've just downloaded and run the setup.py, and it does
    > create a Start Menu item which will start iPython. Look
    > out for that and see if it does the business.

    Removed the files I'd unzipped and started over, putting a fresh unzip in
    Program Files. Ran setup.py while watching the windows task list, and
    pythonw ran for just a second, then disappeared. I saw no other signs of
    anything running, and there's no shortcut for ipython in my start menu.

    > > Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
    > > extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to

    > .py,
    > > still no difference.

    > This is a unixism. Some unix types decry the use of file extensions
    > because the information the extension gives -- which executable
    > program to use -- is already embedded in the first line of a file.

    So what do I do to try ipython directly, bypassing the shortcut (since I can
    make my own later)? I tried right-click on scripts/ipython, Open With, and
    chose python, but got only a quick DOS window.

    Now what?

    Thanks,

    Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill Guest

    Fernando replied to a similar post of mine on the IPython list, and had a
    suggestion that for some unknown reason, worked. Or rather, what's unknown
    is why normal setup failed.

    For the benefit of anyone else who has this issue, I unzipped the files into

    C:\Program Files\ipython-0.6.6

    ....then opened a DOS window, and did the following two cmds:

    cd C:\Program Files\ipython-0.6.6
    "C:\Program Files\Python23\python.exe" setup.py install

    Tons of DOS cmds spat out, the shortcut was created, and launching it
    brought up the config wizard, then ipython.

    I'd really love it if ipython could be invoked in the current debugger
    context in PyDev under Eclipse. Is there any way to do that?

    Thanks again,

    Dave Merrill

    Dave Merrill, Jan 8, 2005