    the browser.

    Any help greatly appreciated,

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Wes Harrison

    Bharath Guest

    i have j2se 5.0 and winxp sp2. i also have an internet connection. i
    have had no problems using them and i can browse without any problems.
    why dont u try j2se1.4 or any other version of jre.

    regards

    Bharath
    Bharath, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Wes Harrison

    Rhino Guest

    "Wes Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > After many frustrating hours of detective work I have isolated the cause
    > of my problems to the installation of J2SE 5.0 (or perhaps just the JRE)
    > on my Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The problem is that any link
    > which opens up a new window now does nothing except create an error on
    > page of "No such interface supported". When I uninstall Java, everything
    > is fine again.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this? Is it perhaps a known problem with J2SE
    > 5.0 and XP/IE under certain circumstances?
    >
    > I haven't tried installing the JDK without the JRE because I need Java in
    > the browser.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated,

    I'm also running J2SE 5.0 on Windows XP Professional SP2 and I'm not having
    any of the problems that you describe, at least I don't _think_ I am. Could
    you please describe exactly where you are and what you are doing when you
    open these links and get the "No such interface supported" page? I'm not
    really clear from your description what the exact scenario is; if you
    clarify it for me, I can give it a try here and see what happens.

    Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message

    > "Wes Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >> After many frustrating hours of detective work I have isolated the cause
    >> of my problems to the installation of J2SE 5.0 (or perhaps just the JRE)
    >> on my Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The problem is that any link
    >> which opens up a new window now does nothing except create an error on
    >> page of "No such interface supported". When I uninstall Java, everything
    >> is fine again.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else experienced this? Is it perhaps a known problem with
    >> J2SE 5.0 and XP/IE under certain circumstances?
    >>
    >> I haven't tried installing the JDK without the JRE because I need Java in
    >> the browser.
    >>
    >> Any help greatly appreciated,
    >>

    > I'm also running J2SE 5.0 on Windows XP Professional SP2 and I'm not
    > having any of the problems that you describe, at least I don't _think_ I
    > am. Could you please describe exactly where you are and what you are doing
    > when you open these links and get the "No such interface supported" page?
    > I'm not really clear from your description what the exact scenario is; if
    > you clarify it for me, I can give it a try here and see what happens.

    OK, thanks for the reply.

    IE was working fine - everything as expected. Then, since installing Java,
    ANY link on a web page that actually opens up a new window does absolutely
    nothing except wait for about 15 seconds and then put the little icon on the
    task bar indicating that there is an error on page. If I double click on
    that icon then I get the full error message which is "No such interface
    supported". Also, if I try to open a link from within an Outlook Express
    email message, nothing happens. So the browser is quite broken. But if I
    uninstall Java, everything returns to normal again.

    I have just tried installing the JDK without the JRE and there is no problem
    except that I don't have Java in the browser (which I need).

    Is that enough info? I am not sure what more I can add except that XP was
    reinstalled yesterday so it's a fairly fresh installation.

    Thanks,

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    >> I'm also running J2SE 5.0 on Windows XP Professional SP2 and I'm not
    >> having any of the problems that you describe, at least I don't _think_ I
    >> am. Could you please describe exactly where you are and what you are
    >> doing when you open these links and get the "No such interface supported"
    >> page? I'm not really clear from your description what the exact scenario
    >> is; if you clarify it for me, I can give it a try here and see what
    >> happens.

    > OK, thanks for the reply.
    >
    > IE was working fine - everything as expected. Then, since installing
    > Java, ANY link on a web page that actually opens up a new window does
    > absolutely nothing except wait for about 15 seconds and then put the
    > little icon on the task bar indicating that there is an error on page. If
    > I double click on that icon then I get the full error message which is "No
    > such interface supported". Also, if I try to open a link from within an
    > Outlook Express email message, nothing happens. So the browser is quite
    > broken. But if I uninstall Java, everything returns to normal again.
    >
    > I have just tried installing the JDK without the JRE and there is no
    > problem except that I don't have Java in the browser (which I need).
    >
    > Is that enough info? I am not sure what more I can add except that XP was
    > reinstalled yesterday so it's a fairly fresh installation.

    Oh, and I would add that IE takes forever just to start up and open the home
    page: about 5 minutes before the browser appears and it starts to load the
    page. This behaviour is also fixed when I uninstall Java.

    I have just tried turning off Sun Java in Internet Options but this hasn't
    helped.

    Thanks,

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Wes Harrison

    > "Wes Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> I'm also running J2SE 5.0 on Windows XP Professional SP2 and I'm not
    >>> having any of the problems that you describe, at least I don't _think_ I
    >>> am. Could you please describe exactly where you are and what you are
    >>> doing when you open these links and get the "No such interface
    >>> supported" page? I'm not really clear from your description what the
    >>> exact scenario is; if you clarify it for me, I can give it a try here
    >>> and see what happens.

    >> OK, thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >> IE was working fine - everything as expected. Then, since installing
    >> Java, ANY link on a web page that actually opens up a new window does
    >> absolutely nothing except wait for about 15 seconds and then put the
    >> little icon on the task bar indicating that there is an error on page.
    >> If I double click on that icon then I get the full error message which is
    >> "No such interface supported". Also, if I try to open a link from within
    >> an Outlook Express email message, nothing happens. So the browser is
    >> quite broken. But if I uninstall Java, everything returns to normal
    >> again.

    So, if you go to any website at any URL at all and that link opens a new
    window, you get this problem? The link doesn't have to be pointing at a Java
    applet or be in a Java applet or anything like that? I had assumed that you
    were omitting some critical aspect of the scenario where the problem took
    place, something that involved Java directly in some manner.

    When I first read your note, it seemed that the Java you were installing was
    a full J2SE that you were putting somewhere in the file system but now, as I
    reread your note, these symptoms would make a lot more sense if you're
    talking about installing the Java plugin in IE, not a full J2SE in your file
    system. Could you please explain which one you mean? It's entirely possible
    that you've installed the Java plugin incorrectly and that _might_ explain
    this behaviour. But if you have installed a full J2SE in your file system, I
    am at a loss to imagine how this behaviour could happen as a result of the
    J2SE. If we are talking about the Java plugin, could you please describe how
    you installed it? I don't think I've ever installed the Java plugin
    directly, at least not for several years: I usually put the code in my HTML
    to download the appropriate plugin if it isn't already there; I believe
    that's been the preferred approach for several years.

    Also, the HTML for the links that cause the problem look like this, right?

    I just want to make sure we have the same understanding of what you mean by
    a link that opens a new window.

    >> I have just tried installing the JDK without the JRE and there is no
    >> problem except that I don't have Java in the browser (which I need).
    >>
    >> Is that enough info? I am not sure what more I can add except that XP
    >> was reinstalled yesterday so it's a fairly fresh installation.

    > Oh, and I would add that IE takes forever just to start up and open the
    > home page: about 5 minutes before the browser appears and it starts to
    > load the page. This behaviour is also fixed when I uninstall Java.
    >
    > I have just tried turning off Sun Java in Internet Options but this hasn't
    > helped.

    We MUST be talking about installing a Java plugin here, right? It just
    doesn't make sense for this problem to be related to the installation of a
    J2SE....

    Rhino

    Rhino, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message

    > So, if you go to any website at any URL at all and that link opens a new
    > window, you get this problem? The link doesn't have to be pointing at a
    > Java applet or be in a Java applet or anything like that? I had assumed
    > that you were omitting some critical aspect of the scenario where the
    > problem took place, something that involved Java directly in some manner.

    Yes, any URL that clicking on results in a new window opening up. It
    doesn't seem to have to involve Java directly although JavaScript is often
    involved. It doesn't have anything to do with applets and as I said later,
    opening a link within an email message doesn't work either and it can take
    up to 5 mins just to open the browser in the first place.

    > When I first read your note, it seemed that the Java you were installing
    > was a full J2SE that you were putting somewhere in the file system but
    > now, as I reread your note, these symptoms would make a lot more sense if
    > you're talking about installing the Java plugin in IE, not a full J2SE in
    > your file system. Could you please explain which one you mean? It's
    > entirely possible that you've installed the Java plugin incorrectly and
    > that _might_ explain this behaviour. But if you have installed a full J2SE
    > in your file system, I am at a loss to imagine how this behaviour could
    > happen as a result of the J2SE. If we are talking about the Java plugin,
    > could you please describe how you installed it? I don't think I've ever
    > installed the Java plugin directly, at least not for several years: I
    > usually put the code in my HTML to download the appropriate plugin if it
    > isn't already there; I believe that's been the preferred approach for
    > several years.

    The problem started after I reinstalled XP and then installed the full J2SE
    JDK. However, I have since determined that it is only related to the JRE
    component so this may be the plugin that you refer to. If I install the
    full JDK and then uninstall just the JRE component everything works again.
    This is how I am running at the moment as I require the JDK for development.
    I also require Java in the browser so I need to get this working.

    >> Oh, and I would add that IE takes forever just to start up and open the
    >> home page: about 5 minutes before the browser appears and it starts to
    >> load the page. This behaviour is also fixed when I uninstall Java.
    >>
    >> I have just tried turning off Sun Java in Internet Options but this
    >> hasn't helped.
    >>

    > We MUST be talking about installing a Java plugin here, right? It just
    > doesn't make sense for this problem to be related to the installation of a
    > J2SE....

    We are talking about installing the full JDK but, as I said, it seems to be
    just the plugin component that is the problem. It completely breaks IE; it
    becomes unusable. I have never seen this behaviour before, only since
    reinstalling XP. I am absolutely certain 100% that Java is the culprit here
    or at least the installation of the JRE. I have had this working on XP SP2
    before so I simply can't explain it.

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Dec 31, 2005
  8. Wes Harrison

> [...]

    >>> home page: about 5 minutes before the browser appears and it starts to
    >>> load the page. This behaviour is also fixed when I uninstall Java.
    >>>
    >>> I have just tried turning off Sun Java in Internet Options but this
    >>> hasn't helped.
    >>>

    >> We MUST be talking about installing a Java plugin here, right? It just
    >> doesn't make sense for this problem to be related to the installation of
    >> a J2SE....

    > We are talking about installing the full JDK but, as I said, it seems to
    > be just the plugin component that is the problem. It completely breaks
    > IE; it becomes unusable. I have never seen this behaviour before, only
    > since reinstalling XP. I am absolutely certain 100% that Java is the
    > culprit here or at least the installation of the JRE. I have had this
    > working on XP SP2 before so I simply can't explain it.

    Frankly, I'm baffled here. It seems to me that there _has_ to be something
    wrong with your explanation, otherwise this doesn't make sense. I'm not
    suggesting that you're lying to me deliberately, just that you are
    misunderstanding what you're doing in some way.

    But you seem very clear that you are talking about a J2SE, not a plugin.
    Then again, you don't seem very clear on what the plugin itself is: the
    plugin is a special version of a JRE that installs in your browser (or
    browser_s_ if you set up the HTML correctly), it is NOT the JRE that comes
    with every J2SE. Roedy Green describes the plugin at this URL:
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaplugin.html but there's not a lot of detail.
    A better place to read about it might be at the Sun site; this is probably
    the best place to start: http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/. If you poke
    around there, you'll probably find information on how to customize your HTML
    so that it loads the plugin appropriately for you in your copy of IE. In any
    case, if you ever plan to write applets, you will want to know about the
    plug-in, what it does, and how to install it, even if it doesn't help you
    with your current problem. (Exception: a lot of people are opting to use
    Java WebStart now to run both applets and browsers so if you prefer that
    approach, you _don't_ need to know about the plug-in.)

    If you are trying to install a full JRE in your browser directly, that could
    potentially cause the odd behaviour you're getting. But you seem pretty sure
    that you are _NOT_ installing the JRE in the browser, just in your file
    system. If that is right, I'm not sure what could be going wrong for you.
    I'm 99% sure that it is a problem on your system alone though because I have
    a very similar environment and have no problems with IE, Outlook Express, my
    other browsers, or any applets I have.

    If you don't get anything else useful on this newsgroup, try some of the
    others, like comp.lang.java.help or the forums at the Sun site. This URL
    takes you to the home page for the forums:
    http://developers.sun.com/forums/index.html.

    I'm going away for a couple of days and won't be checking email or
    newsgroups until I'm back.

    Good luck in finding your problem!

    Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message

    > Frankly, I'm baffled here. It seems to me that there _has_ to be something
    > wrong with your explanation, otherwise this doesn't make sense. I'm not
    > suggesting that you're lying to me deliberately, just that you are
    > misunderstanding what you're doing in some way.

    It is quite possible that I am not understanding fully what I am doing but I
    have no idea in what way.

    > But you seem very clear that you are talking about a J2SE, not a plugin.
    > Then again, you don't seem very clear on what the plugin itself is: the
    > plugin is a special version of a JRE that installs in your browser (or
    > browser_s_ if you set up the HTML correctly), it is NOT the JRE that comes
    > with every J2SE. Roedy Green describes the plugin at this URL:
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaplugin.html but there's not a lot of
    > detail. A better place to read about it might be at the Sun site; this is
    > probably the best place to start: http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/. If
    > you poke around there, you'll probably find information on how to
    > customize your HTML so that it loads the plugin appropriately for you in
    > your copy of IE. In any case, if you ever plan to write applets, you will
    > want to know about the plug-in, what it does, and how to install it, even
    > if it doesn't help you with your current problem. (Exception: a lot of
    > people are opting to use Java WebStart now to run both applets and
    > browsers so if you prefer that approach, you _don't_ need to know about
    > the plug-in.)

    OK, I am not referring to the plugin. It's the full JRE.

    > If you are trying to install a full JRE in your browser directly, that
    > could potentially cause the odd behaviour you're getting. But you seem
    > pretty sure that you are _NOT_ installing the JRE in the browser, just in
    > your file system. If that is right, I'm not sure what could be going wrong
    > for you. I'm 99% sure that it is a problem on your system alone though
    > because I have a very similar environment and have no problems with IE,
    > Outlook Express, my other browsers, or any applets I have.

    It's a "standard" installation of the JDK and the JRE, nothing out of the
    ordinary. I know that it works in a similar environment because I have had
    it working myself under the same OS so I too am completely baffled by this.
    But it is serious. IE is completely broken. I have to choose either Java
    or IE and I need them both.

    > If you don't get anything else useful on this newsgroup, try some of the
    > others, like comp.lang.java.help or the forums at the Sun site. This URL
    > takes you to the home page for the forums:
    > http://developers.sun.com/forums/index.html.

    I have already tried Experts Exchange with no result. There is a very
    similar problem that has a fix from M$ but if that doesn't work then they
    suggest you reinstall the OS. I have done that 3 times and everything works
    just fine until I install the JRE again.

    > Good luck in finding your problem!

    Thanks, it looks like I am going to need it.

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    Re: Installing J2SE 5.0 breaks Internet Explorer SOLVED

    > After many frustrating hours of detective work I have isolated the cause
    > of my problems to the installation of J2SE 5.0 (or perhaps just the JRE)
    > on my Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The problem is that any link
    > which opens up a new window now does nothing except create an error on
    > page of "No such interface supported". When I uninstall Java, everything
    > is fine again.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this? Is it perhaps a known problem with J2SE
    > 5.0 and XP/IE under certain circumstances?
    >
    > I haven't tried installing the JDK without the JRE because I need Java in
    > the browser.

    Solved, finally. The problem is being caused by an antispyware program
    Webroot SpySweeper which is shielding against ActiveX corruptions in real
    time. When I shut it down, the problem goes away. The temporary solution
    is to disable this part of the product. Webroot are working on a longer
    term solution.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    Wes
    Wes Harrison, Jan 12, 2006