Installing J2SE SDK 1.4.2 (English) on WinXP Platform (Japanese)

Elton Sir Sanjiyan Sanchez

I have the US release of WindowsXP Professional and have set the
language to Japanese. I used the option used specifically for
non-Unicode programs.
(See Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language
Options->Advanced->Language for non-Unicode Programs.)

I just tried to install the SDK and the installer, compiler, and most
all the other command-line tools report back in Japanese. Since my
knowledge of the language is not advanced enough to be able to read
error messages and what not, is there an English-only version of the
SDK available from Sun's website (or elsewhere)? If not, are there
some switches I can use with the installer to force it to install in
English?

--Elton Sanchez

Thomas Kellerer

Elton said:
I have the US release of WindowsXP Professional and have set the
language to Japanese. I used the option used specifically for
non-Unicode programs.
(See Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language
Options->Advanced->Language for non-Unicode Programs.)

I just tried to install the SDK and the installer, compiler, and most
all the other command-line tools report back in Japanese. Since my
knowledge of the language is not advanced enough to be able to read
error messages and what not, is there an English-only version of the
SDK available from Sun's website (or elsewhere)? If not, are there
some switches I can use with the installer to force it to install in
English?

--Elton Sanchez

I don't know about additional downloads, but you could try to start the
java commands with -Duser.language=en then they should use english as the
language for error reports.

Thomas

sanjiyan

Hmm. I tried the -Duser.language=en switch on my test program with javac,
but it didn't seem to work. Here's what I tried it with.

public static class EarlyReturn
{
public static void main(String [] arg)
{
return;;;; //did this to generate errors
}
}

I then tried to compile:
javac -Duser.language=en EarlyReturn.java

But I got an error which basically said javac does not support such a
flag/option. (In Japanese, too)
Were you referring to the Java2 SDK installer? Should I apply
-Duser.language=en to that?

Open for replies from anyone. I would like to get English error messages. I
know some Japanese, but I'm not _that_ good.

--Elton Sanchez

}

I then tried to compile:
javac -Duser.language=en EarlyReturn.java

But I got an error which basically said javac does not support such a
flag/option. (In Japanese, too)
Were you referring to the Java2 SDK installer? Should I apply
-Duser.language=en to that?

Open for replies from anyone. I would like to get English error messages. I
know some Japanese, but I'm not _that_ good.

--Elton Sanchez

I don't know about additional downloads, but you could try to start the
java commands with -Duser.language=en then they should use english as the
language for error reports.

Thomas

I haven't tried but I guess changing locale temporarily might be
effective for your problem. You can change locale at OS level or in
your own Java(javac/java) launcher program using java.util.Locale
class/object.

sanjiyan

Actually I tried using the -? with the Java2 1.4.1_3 SDK installer and I got
a pop-up window something interesting:

/L LanguageID

Does anyone know how to use this switch? I couldn't find anything in the
docs about this...maybe someone has dug deeper than me?

--Sir Sanjiyan