installing module to my own directory with MCPAN

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ioneabu@yahoo.com, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I installed Switch.pm in my own module directory on my web account
    using:

    perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/u/mydir/perl

    It took a while and was not easy because I had to look through
    directories for it with ftp and when I finally got it, decompressed it,
    and attempted installation, I was told I needed Filter. I had to go
    through the whole process again to install Filter first.

    All of this was because I wrote a script on my home computer using
    Switch and I thought I would be cool and use Switch instead of if,
    elsif, etc...

    My question is: Why can't I use:

    perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'

    with some equivalent of the PREFIX option so it can handle my
    installation headaches for me? The problem is that I do not have root
    access on this account. I do everything on the command line using ssh
    to connect.

    Thanks!

    wana

    , Jan 16, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1105879824.437592.14240
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Subject: installing module to my own directory with MCPAN

    There is nothing called MCPAN.

    > My question is: Why can't I use:
    >
    > perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'
    >
    > with some equivalent of the PREFIX option so it can handle my
    > installation headaches for me?

    You have been around long enough to know that you should read the
    documentation for the modules you are using before posting here:

    http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/lib/CPAN.pm#CONFIGURATION

    http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/lib/CPAN.pm#FAQ (specifically,
    question 5).

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 16, 2005

    [...]
    > There is nothing called MCPAN.

    Sorry, I really did not know that the interactive shell for downloading
    modules was actually CPAN.pm. That is really helpful. Now that I know
    what I'm using, I'll read about it. I'm glad that it's not really
    MCPAN. It sounds like a McDonald's breakfast. Thanks!

    wana

    > > My question is: Why can't I use:
    > >
    > > perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'
    > >
    > > with some equivalent of the PREFIX option so it can handle my
    > > installation headaches for me?

    > You have been around long enough to know that you should read the
    > documentation for the modules you are using before posting here:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/lib/CPAN.pm#CONFIGURATION
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/lib/CPAN.pm#FAQ (specifically,
    > question 5).
    >
    > Sinan.

    , Jan 16, 2005
  4. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > [...]
    > > There is nothing called MCPAN.

    > Sorry, I really did not know that the interactive shell for

    downloading
    > modules was actually CPAN.pm. That is really helpful. Now that I

    know
    > what I'm using, I'll read about it. I'm glad that it's not really
    > MCPAN. It sounds like a McDonald's breakfast. Thanks!

    The -M in
    perl -MCPAN -e'shell'
    is a command line option that loads a module. Saying -MCPAN is the
    equivalent of saying
    use CPAN;
    within a script. Read more about it in
    perldoc perlrun

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jan 16, 2005

    Paul Lalli wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > > There is nothing called MCPAN.

    > > Sorry, I really did not know that the interactive shell for

    > downloading
    > > modules was actually CPAN.pm. That is really helpful. Now that I

    > know
    > > what I'm using, I'll read about it. I'm glad that it's not really
    > > MCPAN. It sounds like a McDonald's breakfast. Thanks!

    > The -M in
    > perl -MCPAN -e'shell'
    > is a command line option that loads a module. Saying -MCPAN is the
    > equivalent of saying
    > use CPAN;
    > within a script. Read more about it in
    > perldoc perlrun
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    Thanks!

    I finally got things working, though it took a little experimentation.
    The following may be helpful as it worked for me:

    create this path and file:

    ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm

    Then put the following in the file:

    $home = $ENV{'HOME'};
    $CPAN::Config = {
    cpan_home=>$home
    };
    1;
    __END__

    then type the usual:

    perl -MCPAN -e shell

    and answer all of the questions.

    Look out for the one about PREFIX= so you can let it know where you
    want your modules to go.
    The contents of the MyConfig.pm gave me the most trouble.

    wana

    , Jan 17, 2005
  6. ChicksHateMe Guest

    Thanks for the link here, what you and Paul showed will surely help.

    P.S.

    Don't you just love , when you are asking for help, You get some JERK
    like Sinan, who think he knows it all, and bust yer ,,,, instead of
    trying to be NICE and helpful.

    Geesh, what a weenie..

    Hey, Sin. Instead of being a snotty nosed jerk, Why don't ya chose to
    be nice and helpful or put your time into doing something CONSTRUCTIVE
    rather than DESTRUCTIVE...

    *mumbles "weenie" again*

    Gawd, sometimes dontcha just wish you could reach out and TOUCH
    someone.....

    ChicksHateMe, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Helgi Briem Guest

    On 20 Jan 2005 13:40:57 -0800, "ChicksHateMe"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the link here, what you and Paul showed will surely help.
    >
    >P.S.
    >
    >Don't you just love , when you are asking for help, You get some JERK
    >like Sinan, who think he knows it all, and bust yer ,,,, instead of
    >trying to be NICE and helpful.
    >
    >Geesh, what a weenie..
    >
    >Hey, Sin. Instead of being a snotty nosed jerk, Why don't ya chose to
    >be nice and helpful or put your time into doing something CONSTRUCTIVE
    >rather than DESTRUCTIVE...

    You are sadly mistaken, troll thing. Sinan is a knowledgable
    and *very* helpful denizen of this group.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

    Helgi Briem, Jan 21, 2005
  8. ChicksHateMe wrote:

    > Don't you just love , when you are asking for help, You get some JERK
    > like Sinan, who think he knows it all, and bust yer ,,,, instead of
    > trying to be NICE and helpful.

    Nice attitude, *not*. At least I understand the nickname now.

    *plonk*

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Anno Siegel Guest

    ChicksHateMe <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Thanks for the link here, what you and Paul showed will surely help.
    >
    > P.S.
    >
    > Don't you just love , when you are asking for help, You get some JERK
    > like Sinan, who think he knows it all, and bust yer ,,,, instead of
    > trying to be NICE and helpful.

    Sinan (who *is* one of the more knowledgeable people around here) was
    helpful enough, pointing you to the FAQ that answers exactly your
    question. If you want NICE, invest a minimum of your own effort before
    asking. The fact that you failed to notice the module "MCPAN" you are
    asking about doesn't even exist clearly shows that you didn't.

    > Geesh, what a weenie..

    Bye.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Jan 21, 2005