installing modules compiled with visual studio

Matthias

Hello

I am a programming newbie, trying to install the "Twisted" package from
source, on a Windows computer with Python 2.3 installed. But when I try to
build the sources it gives an error: "Python was built with version 6
Visual Studio, and extensions need to be built with the same version of
the compiler, but it isn't installed". It seems there are some C or C++
libs included in the package, but Python can't install them because I
don't have Visual Studio installed. Is there a way I can build the
extensions without using Visual Studio ? I have another C++ compiler
installed on my pc. Help would really be appreciated as I need the
package, now I run an older version that came with an installer, but I
really need the newer package.
Regards

Matthias