Installing modules on Solaris in non-default location

boekhold

Hi,

I'm having quite some difficulty in installing even the simplest Perl
module on a Solaris 2.8 system (default perl installation) if I try to
use a non-default installation directory.

Typically 'perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/dir' would work, but this still
tries to place the files under /usr/perl5/5.00503/site_perl.

'perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/dir LIB=/dir/lib' comes a bit further, but
still fails at installing the manual pages in the correct location.

'perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/dir INSTALLSITELIB=/dir INSTALLDIRS=site \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=/dir/man/man1 INSTALLMAN3DIR=/dir/man/man3' comes even
further, but fails on 'Appending installation info to
/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/perllocal.pod'

Why is this so difficult with the standard solaris perl installation?

"This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris"
Kind regards, Maarten

boekhold

Hmm, I'll be damned. The following seems to work:

perl Makefile.PL LIB= PREFIX= INSTALLMAN1DIR= INSTALLMAN3DIR=
Still, would be nice if just 'PREFIX' would do the job...

Maarten