Installing MySQLdb under Cygwin

Perflubron

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing MySQLdb 0.9.2 on the following Cygwin system:
- Python 2.2.2
- MySQL 3.23.57
- gcc 2.95.3-10

The steps I take are:
1. Modify setup.py
- Set thread_safe_library = NO
- Change the Cygwin paths to use /cygdrive/c/...
- Change the library path to .../lib/opt

2. Run setup.py build
--> Errors on lines 2005-7 and 2094-6 of _mysql.c:
"Initializer element is not constant"

3. Replace the above lines with "0,"

4. Run setup.py build
--> Many undefined references to mysql functions

5. Change setup.py to use mysql library instead of mysqlclient

6. Run setup.py build
--> It compiles, so I run the setup.py install

7. When I try to import the library, I get the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./test.py", line 4, in ?
import MySQLdb
File "MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 27, in ?
import _mysql
ImportError: dlopen: Win32 error 127

I'm stuck. I've tried using g++ instead of gcc, which gets rid of the
Initializer element is not constant" error. But I end up at the same error
when I try to import the module.

I have seen some posts from people who have managed to install MySQLdb on
Cygwin - could someone please let me know how to do it?

Kind regards,

Per

Jason Tishler

Per,

7. When I try to import the library, I get the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./test.py", line 4, in ?
import MySQLdb
File "MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 27, in ?
import _mysql
ImportError: dlopen: Win32 error 127

We have the following:

$ fgrep 127 /usr/include/w32api/winerror.h | head -1
#define ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND 127L

This error usually means the extension module did not export the init
function. What do you get when you try the following?

$ objdump -p _mysql.dll | fgrep init

For example:

$ objdump -p zlib.dll | fgrep init
[ 0] initzlib

If the init function is not being exported, then change the source from:

void
init_mysql(void)

to:

DL_EXPORT(void) /* for Python 2.2.2, use PyMODINIT_FUNC for Python 2.3+ */
init_mysql(void)
I have seen some posts from people who have managed to install MySQLdb
on Cygwin - could someone please let me know how to do it?

See the following mailing list thread:

Try the Cygwin list if you need more help.

Jason

Perflubron

Hi Jason,
This error usually means the extension module did not export the init
function. What do you get when you try the following?

$ objdump -p _mysql.dll | fgrep init

I get:

ba58 52 mysql_init
[ 0] init_mysql__Fv

I don't know what the __Fv means.
If the init function is not being exported, then change the source from:

to:

DL_EXPORT(void) /* for Python 2.2.2, use PyMODINIT_FUNC for Python 2.3+ */
init_mysql(void)

The source already has the DL_EXPORT line in it.

I'll try the cygwin list now, thanks for your help.

Per

Jason Tishler

Per,

I get:

ba58 52 mysql_init
[ 0] init_mysql__Fv

I don't know what the __Fv means.

The "__Fv" is the name mangling produced by g++. Try again with gcc.
Or, add 'extern "C"' to the init function definition. What does objdump
indicate now?

Jason

Perflubron

Hi Jason,
The "__Fv" is the name mangling produced by g++. Try again with gcc.
Or, add 'extern "C"' to the init function definition. What does objdump
indicate now?

g++ with extern "C" does not compile at first attempt. With gcc, I
overcame the "initializer element is not constant errors" by setting
the elements of the struct after creating it, e.g:

_mysql_ConnectionObject_Type.tp_alloc = &PyType_GenericAlloc;

But the objdump is still the same:
ba58 52 mysql_init
[ 0] init_mysql

I've given up on using MySQLdb under Cygwin. I instead installed the
Windows version of Python and MySQLdb, and will use that combination
for certain scripts.

Thanks for all your help!

Per