Installing new version, erasing previous versions of Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Smith, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. David Smith

    David Smith Guest

    I currently have Python 2.2 and 2.3.4 installed. I want to install Python 2.4,
    and erase 2.3.4, but retain 2.2, for I need it for my connectivity program.

    According to the the documentation:

    If you have a previous installation of Python that you don't want to replace
    yet, use

    make altinstall

    the same set of files as "make install" except it doesn't create the hard link
    to "python<version>" named "python" and it doesn't install the manual page at
    all."

    And prior to this, it says:

    All subdirectories created will have Python's version number in their
    name, e.g. the library modules are installed in
    "/usr/local/lib/python<version>/" by default, where <version> is the
    <major>.<minor> release number (e.g. "2.1"). The Python binary is
    installed as "python<version>" and a hard link named "python" is
    created. The only file not installed with a version number in its
    name is the manual page, installed as "/usr/local/man/man1/python.1"
    by default.

    If I understand the above correctly, 1) "make install" and "make altinstall" use
    the same process, the only difference being the man page update, and the hard
    link, and 2) that previous versions of python are not deleted. Therefore I
    should be able to install 2.4 without deleting 2.2.2. If I wish to delete
    2.3.4, I have to rm -r the appropriate directories. Any caveats? Is there any
    crosstalk between 2.2.2 and 2.4 modules? Thank you.
    --
    David Smith
    1845 Purdue Ave #3

    David Smith, Dec 21, 2004

  2. David Smith wrote:

    > If I understand the above correctly, 1) "make install" and "make altinstall" use
    > the same process, the only difference being the man page update, and the hard
    > link

    correct.

    > 2) that previous versions of python are not deleted. Therefore I should be able
    > to install 2.4 without deleting 2.2.2.

    correct.

    > If I wish to delete 2.3.4, I have to rm -r the appropriate directories. Any caveats?
    > Is there any crosstalk between 2.2.2 and 2.4 modules?

    nope (unless you've moved things around, or tinkered with the python paths)

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 21, 2004

  3. David Smith

    Maurice LING Guest

    Hi David,

    I'm using Python on Mac OSX and although my case is not precisely your
    scenario but it is pretty common to have more than 1 pythons installed
    in Mac OSX 10.3, if Fink is used.

    > If I understand the above correctly, 1) "make install" and "make altinstall" use
    > the same process, the only difference being the man page update, and the hard
    > link, and 2) that previous versions of python are not deleted. Therefore I
    > should be able to install 2.4 without deleting 2.2.2. If I wish to delete
    > 2.3.4, I have to rm -r the appropriate directories. Any caveats?

    On the assumption that you are using *nix-based system, there shouldn't
    be any problems. But you might want to look at /usr/local/bin/py* files
    and symlinks to get an idea of what you are dealing with.

    On MS Windows system, I do not know if there is any registry entries etc
    to be taken care of.

    Is there any
    > crosstalk between 2.2.2 and 2.4 modules? Thank you.

    Every python seems to maintain its own set of libraries and 3rd party
    packages.

    In my case, I've removed Apple-installed python 2.3 by rm -rf the
    appropriate directories and re-symlinked the links in /usr/lib. Fink had
    installed python2.2 and python2.3 in my system and they co-exist
    happily. Each python has its own libraries to use, in my case, in
    /sw/lib/python2.2 and /sw/lib/python2.3

    Of course, depending on which python you use to install 3rd party
    libraries, it will go into that python's site-package directory. If any
    causes trouble, I'll guess it will be this.

    Hope this helps.

    Maurice

    Maurice LING, Dec 23, 2004