Installing NumPy and SciPy in Python 2.6

Discussion in 'Python' started by Vicent Giner, Nov 28, 2008.

  1. Vicent Giner

    Vicent Giner Guest

    Sorry if my question was already asked and answered, but I can't
    manage with this...

    I've installed Python 2.6 in my Windows XP. Actually, I've installed
    ActiveState's ActivePython 2.6.

    I would like to use NumPy and SciPy.

    Are those packages compatible with version 2.6 of Python?

    Are they already installed in ActivePython 2.6? If not, how can
    install them?

    I downloaded the Windows installers for NumPy and SciPy, but as they
    are prepared for Python 2.5, I can't make the installers run properly.

    Any piece of help will be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    --
    Vicent

    Vicent Giner, Nov 28, 2008

  2. On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Scott David Daniels
    <> wrote:
    > Vicent Giner wrote:
    >>
    >> I've installed Python 2.6 in my Windows XP. Actually, I've installed
    >> ActiveState's ActivePython 2.6.
    >>
    >> I would like to use NumPy and SciPy.
    >>
    >> Are those packages compatible with version 2.6 of Python?

    > I believe there is more work to do on Scipy and Numpy before they will
    > run on 2.6. Expect Numpy to come first (or at the same time). 2.6 is
    > quite new, so a number of packages may tak a while to get there. I
    > think Numpy, in particular, is changing to a new memory buffer protocol,
    > and may take a while.

    AFAIK, numpy on 2.6 will not change to a new API in that regard.

    But note that python 2.6 does not bring much for scientific
    computation, so I think that if you canm you should stick to 2.5
    before a release with official 2.6 support is available.

    We indeed hope to get a 2.6 compatible release of numpy within the end
    of the year (scipy should follow quite quickly).

    David

    David Cournapeau, Nov 28, 2008