Installing packages

Alan Baljeu

I'm new to Python, and just downloaded Py2.6. I also want to use Nose. So I downloaded the latest sources, but it's not at all clear what's the best way to put this stuff into the Python package system. Nose supports easy_install, easy_install doesn't have an installer for Windows and Py2.6, so I think I can't use that. (It only does 2.5 and earlier. (Should I go to Py2.5? Is there more support out there for that?)).

Alan Baljeu

Diez B. Roggisch

Alan said:
I'm new to Python, and just downloaded Py2.6. I also want to use Nose. So I downloaded the latest sources, but it's not at all clear what's the best way to put this stuff into the Python package system. Nose supports easy_install, easy_install doesn't have an installer for Windows and Py2.6, so I think I can't use that. (It only does 2.5 and earlier. (Should I go to Py2.5? Is there more support out there for that?)).

2.6 is most probably a bit to fresh.

I'd go for 2.5.

Diez

Alan Baljeu

Thanks, I have 2.5 now and it works great with Nose. Now for my next project, I want to embed Python and Nose in a C++ program. I know this means using the python25.dll, and I know how to setup the calls.
I think though I will not be installing Python on target systems, so I don't want to rely on sys.path including "site-install". I would have a directory with appropriate python files, a subdir for nose, and keep those relative to the application dir.

For the Python interpreter, two questions:
1. What is the best way to manage the import paths?
2. How can I invoke an interactive console for this embedded python? I'd like to play with things while my app is running.