installing perl and some modules on many hosts

ashish

Hi,

I would like to install Perl 5.8.6 and some modules on about 30
machines. Some are solaris and some are linux.

Are there any suggestions on how I can do this with the minimum amount
of effort?

Thanks and regards,
Ashish

Tintin

ashish said:
Hi,

I would like to install Perl 5.8.6 and some modules on about 30
machines. Some are solaris and some are linux.

Are there any suggestions on how I can do this with the minimum amount
of effort?

There's a few approaches you can take.

What Linux distribution are you running? A lot of the common ones like
Fedora, Debian etc have the popular Perl modules packaged, so they are easy
to install.

Do any of the modules you want to install have a compiled component?

Paul Lalli

ashish said:
I would like to install Perl 5.8.6 and some modules on about 30
machines. Some are solaris and some are linux.

Are there any suggestions on how I can do this with the minimum amount
of effort?

http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.80/lib/CPAN.pm#Bundles

issue the 'autobundle' command from within a CPAN shell on a machine
that has all thirty modules. Copy the resulting Bundle file to each of
the other machines, and run 'install <bundle_file>' from within a CPAN
shell on each of them.

Paul Lalli

gs

use autoexpect and install once using the CPAN shell.
do minor modifications to the script.exp.
run it to install on all the machines.

/,
GS