Installing Perl module with nmake

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jim Keenan, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Jim Keenan

    Jim Keenan Guest

    This posting does not concern Perl code. It concerns the use of 'nmake' to
    install a Perl module on a Windows98 system. If you deem this off-topic or
    want to rant about why I am still using a Win98 box, stop reading here.

    I have developed a number of Perl modules in a Linux environment using the
    standard MakeMaker approach. Once these modules have been tested and
    installed on Linux, I send the tarball to my Win98 box and repeat the
    process with 'nmake' (v1.50). Heretofore, have never had any difference in
    results, and two of these modules have been uploaded to CPAN where they
    passed all tests on both *nix and Windows.

    Tonight I followed the same procedure with a new module. Everything fine on
    Linux. On Windows, when I called 'nmake test', I got a screen full of
    warning messages and indications that most of the tests failed. But I
    couldn't get a clear reading on the errors, because the DOS-prompt doesn't
    permit me to scroll backwards far enough.

    I got this far with the previous version of the module a couple of days ago.
    For fun, I went ahead and called 'nmake install' -- and the module installed
    correctly!

    Tonight I tried a different approach. I shifted to the Cygwin BASH prompt
    after calling 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'nmake'. I then called 'nmake test' --
    and this time all 200 tests passed, just as they had done on Linux! I then
    proceeded to 'nmake install', which, as before, proceeded correctly.

    So has anyone seen this problem before? 'nmake test' gives 1 (wrong) result
    from the DOS-prompt and a different (correct) result from the Cygwin
    BASH-prompt.

    Jim Keenan
    Jim Keenan, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Jim Keenan

    Koms Bomb Guest

    > This posting does not concern Perl code. It concerns the use of 'nmake'
    > install a Perl module on a Windows98 system. If you deem this off-topic

    or
    > want to rant about why I am still using a Win98 box, stop reading here.

    I use both Win98 and Win2k :)

    > Tonight I followed the same procedure with a new module. Everything fine

    on
    > Linux. On Windows, when I called 'nmake test', I got a screen full of
    > warning messages and indications that most of the tests failed. But I
    > couldn't get a clear reading on the errors, because the DOS-prompt doesn't
    > permit me to scroll backwards far enough.

    'nmake test | more' can pause the scrolling or 'nmake test > result.txt' can
    redirect the message to a file, so you can read and analyse them.

    --
    Koms Bomb

    *****Pardon my poor English*****
    ---------------------
    My TASM homepage, resource for assembly. Tools, articles, links.
    http://komsbomb.ols-lab.com
    Koms Bomb, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Jim Keenan

    Jay Tilton Guest

    "Jim Keenan" <> wrote:

    : Tonight I followed the same procedure with a new module.

    What was that module? Is it available on CPAN? A reader (like me) who is
    interested in reproducing the bad result could use that information.

    : Everything fine on
    : Linux. On Windows, when I called 'nmake test', I got a screen full of
    : warning messages and indications that most of the tests failed. But I
    : couldn't get a clear reading on the errors, because the DOS-prompt doesn't
    : permit me to scroll backwards far enough.

    The output from nmake can be redirected to a file or piped into a pager.

    : I got this far with the previous version of the module a couple of days ago.
    : For fun, I went ahead and called 'nmake install' -- and the module installed
    : correctly!

    That's not especially surprising.

    :
    : So has anyone seen this problem before? 'nmake test' gives 1 (wrong) result
    : from the DOS-prompt

    Yes. I've seen it when the test procedure depends on a unix-like shell
    that can redirect STDERR.

    : and a different (correct) result from the Cygwin
    : BASH-prompt.

    Never tried. If the the test procedure isn't windows-savvy, I'm not very
    confident that the module will work correctly in a windows environment.
    Jay Tilton, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Jim Keenan

    Sisyphus Guest

    Jim Keenan wrote:

    > Tonight I tried a different approach. I shifted to the Cygwin BASH prompt
    > after calling 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'nmake'. I then called 'nmake test' --
    > and this time all 200 tests passed, just as they had done on Linux! I then
    > proceeded to 'nmake install', which, as before, proceeded correctly.

    Leads me to believe that there may be some shell commands in the test
    scripts (or even in the module itself) on which command.com chokes. Iirc
    (and I'm pretty sure I do in this instance) it's not hard to get
    command.com to choke on shell commands. A simple '2>&1' is often enough
    to completely bamboozle it.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Mar 5, 2004