Installing Pip onto a mac os x system

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Mordecai Dildy, Sep 20, 2012.

  1. Does anyone know how to install Pip onto a mac os x ver 10.7.4?

    Ive tried easy_instal pip but it brings up this message (but it doesn't help with my problem):

    error: can't create or remove files in install directory

    The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
    installation directory:

    [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/test-easy-install-1820.write-test'

    The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
    the distutils default setting) was:

    /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/

    Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory? If the
    installation directory is a system-owned directory, you may need to sign in
    as the administrator or "root" account. If you do not have administrative
    access to this machine, you may wish to choose a different installation
    directory, preferably one that is listed in your PYTHONPATH environment
    variable.

    For information on other options, you may wish to consult the
    documentation at:

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html

    Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.

    Thing is I am the Administrator of the computer and can use all of the folders on the mac computer.

    Thank you in advance if you guys can help me with the problem,

    John Dildy
    John Mordecai Dildy, Sep 20, 2012

  2. John Mordecai Dildy

    Hans Mulder Guest

    On 20/09/12 03:32:40, John Mordecai Dildy wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to install Pip onto a mac os x ver 10.7.4?
    >
    > Ive tried easy_instal pip but it brings up this message (but it doesn't help with my problem):
    >
    > error: can't create or remove files in install directory
    >
    > The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
    > installation directory:
    >
    > [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/test-easy-install-1820.write-test'
    >
    > The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
    > the distutils default setting) was:
    >
    > /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/
    >
    > Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory? If the
    > installation directory is a system-owned directory, you may need to sign in
    > as the administrator or "root" account. If you do not have administrative
    > access to this machine, you may wish to choose a different installation
    > directory, preferably one that is listed in your PYTHONPATH environment
    > variable.
    >
    > For information on other options, you may wish to consult the
    > documentation at:
    >
    > http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html
    >
    > Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.
    >
    > Thing is I am the Administrator of the computer

    In that case, you should be able to do

    sudo easy_instal pip

    This will ask your login password, and then run "easy_instal pip"
    with so-called "root" privileges.

    > and can use all of the folders on the mac computer.

    You may be able to view them, but I doubt that you can add
    new files to folders like, say, /Library/Python .

    Hope this helps,

    -- HansM
    Hans Mulder, Sep 20, 2012

  3. Thank you Hans M. for some input.

    Now it shows the error of:

    sudo: easy_instal: command not found
    John Mordecai Dildy, Sep 20, 2012
  4. John Mordecai Dildy

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> John Mordecai Dildy <> writes:

    > Now it shows the error of:

    > sudo: easy_instal: command not found

    Try 'easy_install' instead of 'easy_instal'.

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
    John Gordon, Sep 20, 2012
  5. On Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:37:36 PM UTC-4, John Gordon wrote:
    > In <> John Mordecai Dildy <> writes:
    >

    > > Now it shows the error of:

    > > sudo: easy_instal: command not found

    > Try 'easy_install' instead of 'easy_instal'.
    >

    > --
    >
    > John Gordon A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
    >
    > B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
    >
    > -- Edward Gorey, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

    Thanks John G.
    John Mordecai Dildy, Sep 20, 2012