    actually work for versions later than 1.01, and do not work for
    version 1.01 unless one has already installed the complete developer
    environment.
    James A. Donald, Apr 30, 2011

  2. On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:19 PM, James A. Donald <> wrote:
    > I have noticed that installing python programs tends to be hell,
    > particularly under windows, and installing python programs that rely
    > on, or in large part are, python extensions written in C++ tends to be
    > hell on wheels with large spiky knobs and scythes on the wheels.
    >
    > Is this because such install are inherently hard to do and hard to
    > write, or is it because Install tends to be done last, and therefore
    > not done at all?

    Most likely both.

    Packaging complex application is hard, and I think few programmers
    like doing it, so it is rarely done correctly.

    > Can anyone suggest any examples of such a program with a clean windows
    > install that shows how it was done?
    >
    > By windows install, I mean you run setup.exe, and get a program group,
    > file types registered, and an entry in the add/remove programs list, I
    > do not mean fourteen pages of direly incomplete notes which do not
    > actually work for versions later than 1.01, and do not work for
    > version 1.01 unless one has already installed the complete developer
    > environment.

    Well, python itself is a reasonably good example I think. But if you
    are interested in having one python program which is a one click
    install without requiring the user to even install python, you will
    need to look into tools like py2exe which can create all the files
    necessary to do so from an existing python package. Then, you package
    those files into a nice installer. I like nsis, which is open source
    and relatively well documented, but there are other solutions as well.

    cheers,

    David
    David Cournapeau, Apr 30, 2011

  3. On Apr 30, 6:39 pm, David Cournapeau <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:19 PM, James A. Donald <>wrote:
    >
    > > I have noticed that installingpythonprograms tends to be hell,
    > > particularly underwindows, and installingpythonprograms that rely
    > > on, or in large part are,pythonextensionswritten in C++ tends to be
    > > hell on wheels with large spiky knobs and scythes on the wheels.

    > > Is this because suchinstallare inherently hard to do and hard to
    > > write, or is it becauseInstalltends to be done last, and therefore
    > > not done at all?

    > Most likely both.
    >
    > Packaging complex application is hard, and I think few programmers
    > like doing it, so it is rarely done correctly.
    >

    > > Can anyone suggest any examples of such a program with a cleanwindows
    > >installthat shows how it was done?

    > > Bywindowsinstall, I mean you run setup.exe, and get a program group,
    > > file types registered, and an entry in the add/remove programs list, I
    > > do not mean fourteen pages of direly incomplete notes which do not
    > > actually work for versions later than 1.01, and do not work for
    > > version 1.01 unless one has already installed the complete developer
    > > environment.

    > Well,pythonitself is a reasonably good example I think. But if you
    > are interested in having onepythonprogram which is a one clickinstallwithout requiring the user to eveninstallpython, you will
    > need to look into tools like py2exe which can create all the files
    > necessary to do so from an existingpythonpackage. Then, you package
    > those files into a nice installer. I like nsis, which is open source
    > and relatively well documented, but there are other solutions as well.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David

    py2exe would work, but a correct installer would install Python if not
    present, then install the program.
    James A. Donald, May 3, 2011