installing pyqt4 on ubuntu 6.06

Pradnyesh Sawant

Hello,
I have a newly installed ubuntu 6.06 system. I am trying to install
pyqt4 on it, but without success. The contents of the
/etc/apt/sources.list file are:
deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted universe
deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main universe
deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-updates main restricted
I've tried installing everything related to python2.4 and qt4,
including sip, pyqt-tools, etc. However, on running a pyqt script, it
gives me the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "findFiles.py", line 16, in ?
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

Any pointers regarding what packages should i install to get the
system into working condition would be very helpful

Thanks a lot

Paul Boddie

It's next to impossible, due to conflicts with SIP, and other dependencies.
See these two threads (both started by me) for more information:

Yes, so much for cutting edge packages in the bleeding edge Ubuntu
releases. Anyway, I've previously made PyQt4 packages for Ubuntu Hoary
based on the Debian (and possibly Ubuntu) sources plus diffs, and as
far as I remember you just need to choose a version of SIP which is
capable of working with both the PyQt3 and PyQt4 sources. I think I
also had to upgrade my PyQt3 stuff in the process, but since the stuff
shipped with Hoary is almost archaic, that was on the cards, anyway.

Sadly, you'll probably get into issues with the various applications
which need PyQt3, and it might be necessary to rebuild them. I'd
provide some details of what I've done, but they aren't currently to
hand, so I'll try and post some more information at a later time.

Paul