installing pyqt4 on ubuntu 6.06

Discussion in 'Python' started by Pradnyesh Sawant, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. Hello,
    I have a newly installed ubuntu 6.06 system. I am trying to install
    pyqt4 on it, but without success. The contents of the
    /etc/apt/sources.list file are:
    deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted universe
    deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-backports main
    restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main universe
    deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-updates main restricted
    I've tried installing everything related to python2.4 and qt4,
    including sip, pyqt-tools, etc. However, on running a pyqt script, it
    gives me the following error:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "findFiles.py", line 16, in ?
    from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
    ImportError: No module named PyQt4

    Any pointers regarding what packages should i install to get the
    system into working condition would be very helpful

    Thanks a lot
    --
    warm regards,
    Pradnyesh Sawant

    Pradnyesh Sawant, Apr 10, 2007

  2. On Tuesday 10 April 2007 07:35, Pradnyesh Sawant wrote:

    > Any pointers regarding what packages should i install to get the
    > system into working condition would be very helpful

    It's next to impossible, due to conflicts with SIP, and other dependencies.
    See these two threads (both started by me) for more information:

    Joshua Kugler
    Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
    http://www.eeinternet.com
    PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE

    Joshua J. Kugler, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Pradnyesh Sawant

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 10 Apr, 20:48, "Joshua J. Kugler" <> wrote:
    > On Tuesday 10 April 2007 07:35, Pradnyesh Sawant wrote:
    >
    > > Any pointers regarding what packages should i install to get the
    > > system into working condition would be very helpful

    > It's next to impossible, due to conflicts with SIP, and other dependencies.
    > See these two threads (both started by me) for more information:

    Yes, so much for cutting edge packages in the bleeding edge Ubuntu
    releases. Anyway, I've previously made PyQt4 packages for Ubuntu Hoary
    based on the Debian (and possibly Ubuntu) sources plus diffs, and as
    far as I remember you just need to choose a version of SIP which is
    capable of working with both the PyQt3 and PyQt4 sources. I think I
    also had to upgrade my PyQt3 stuff in the process, but since the stuff
    shipped with Hoary is almost archaic, that was on the cards, anyway.

    Sadly, you'll probably get into issues with the various applications
    which need PyQt3, and it might be necessary to rebuild them. I'd
    provide some details of what I've done, but they aren't currently to
    hand, so I'll try and post some more information at a later time.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Apr 11, 2007