Installing Python 2.5.2 on Win 7

W. eWatson

I would like to install 2.5.2 on Win 7 for several reasons. I'm using my
former XP laptop, which I recently upgraded to Win7. In the XP form, I
had at one time installed 2.5.2, PIL, numpy, matplotlib, etc. on it to
drive a camera via a Python app. The camera is still around, and I use
it on my PC XP desktop with this software, for which the python app will
never be updated.

However, I acquired a camera like the one I use and we set it up at a
friend's house on his XP laptop. We installed this software on it, but
for some reason, probably because of the camera interface via ethernet,
we can get the app up, but not the camera.

To solve this problem I thought I would install the software on my
laptop Win7 PC. When I tried PIL.1.1.6 I got several unexpected messages
that seem to indicate things were not going well. I have stopped to find
out if it is really possible to install this suite of software on Win7.
Is it possible? If not, will uninstalling Python also remove PIL?

Irmen de Jong

To solve this problem I thought I would install the software on my laptop Win7 PC. When
I tried PIL.1.1.6 I got several unexpected messages that seem to indicate things were
not going well. I have stopped to find out if it is really possible to install this
suite of software on Win7. Is it possible? If not, will uninstalling Python also remove
PIL?

I'm using PIL 1.1.7 (the latest version available from effbot's website) on Windows 7.
Admittedly, with Python 2.7.2, but there's an installer for Python 2.5 as well.
I assume it should work just fine.

What errors were you seeing?

And no, uninstall Python won't remove PIL - it has its own uninstaller.

Irmen

W. eWatson

I'm using PIL 1.1.7 (the latest version available from effbot's website) on Windows 7.
Admittedly, with Python 2.7.2, but there's an installer for Python 2.5 as well.
I assume it should work just fine.

What errors were you seeing?

And no, uninstall Python won't remove PIL - it has its own uninstaller.

Irmen
I'm going to uninstall Python on my XP laptop, and get my friend's
laptop tomorrow. I'll work on his problem here. I have a desktop xp
that works for the app I'm concerned about.