Installing Python 2.6 on Vista

Fuzzyman

Hello guys,

Not sure if this is a Windows question or a Python problem...

I'm trying to install Python 2.6 from the msi, on Windows Vista as an
administrative user with UAC on. If I try to install for all users
then I am told I don't have privileges to do that... (No UAC prompt.)

The only other user on the machine is the standard guest account, so
it isn't an issue, I just wondered why this would be?

Michael

Martin v. Löwis

Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas. :)

There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
So your choices are really:
1. activate the Administrator account
2. disable UAC

Regards,
Martin

Fuzzyman

There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
So your choices are really:
1. activate the Administrator account
2. disable UAC

Regards,
Martin

It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
probably set an admin password.

Thanks

Michael

Martin v. Löwis

It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem.

It installs for 'just me', but it doesn't work. Just try starting
IDLE, or import the socket module.

Regards,
Martin

Steve Holden

Fuzzyman said:
It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
probably set an admin password.
The way I worked this was to run a command window as administrator and
then run the installer from the command line.

regards
Steve