    Michael
    --
    http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
    Fuzzyman, Nov 9, 2008

  2. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On Nov 9, 6:23 pm, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Fuzzyman <> wrote:
    > > Hello guys,

    > > Not sure if this is a Windows question or a Python problem...

    > > I'm trying to install Python 2.6 from the msi, on Windows Vista as an
    > > administrative user with UAC on. If I try to install for all users
    > > then I am told I don't have privileges to do that... (No UAC prompt.)

    > > The only other user on the machine is the standard guest account, so
    > > it isn't an issue, I just wondered why this would be?

    > There is a "Vista note" inhttp://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/
    >
    > runas /user:Administrator "msiexec /i <path>\<file>.msi"

    Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
    password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas. :)

    Michael

    Fuzzyman, Nov 9, 2008

  3. > Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
    > password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas. :)

    There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
    So your choices are really:
    1. activate the Administrator account
    2. disable UAC

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Nov 9, 2008
  4. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On Nov 9, 7:39 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    > > Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
    > > password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas. :)

    > There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
    > So your choices are really:
    > 1. activate the Administrator account
    > 2. disable UAC
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
    to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
    probably set an admin password.

    Thanks

    Michael
    --
    http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
    Fuzzyman, Nov 9, 2008
  5. > It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem.

    It installs for 'just me', but it doesn't work. Just try starting
    IDLE, or import the socket module.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Nov 9, 2008
  6. Fuzzyman

    Steve Holden Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 7:39 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    >>> Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
    >>> password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas. :)

    >> There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
    >> So your choices are really:
    >> 1. activate the Administrator account
    >> 2. disable UAC
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin

    > It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
    > to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
    > probably set an admin password.

    The way I worked this was to run a command window as administrator and
    then run the installer from the command line.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Nov 10, 2008