installing python 3.0rc1 on Linux

bradley.rogers

I have a SUSE 10.3 OS

I have the original python 2.5.1 loaded from the suse rpm.

I have tried installing Python 3.0rc1 using the standard make
technique with the "altinstall" variation. I don't want to replace my
2.5.1. I just want to try out the new Python 3.0.

I have successfully installed the new version, but not the following
modules.

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_curses _curses_panel _dbm
_gdbm _hashlib _sqlite3
_ssl _tkinter bz2
readline zlib

My original 2.5.1 version supports these modules, but the 3.0 does
not.

My older rpm version is installed in /usr/bin. I have installed the
new Python 3.0 in /usr/local/bin.
It seems that the make process cannot find some of the shared
libraries. Is there some way to change the install process ( make,
config files or whatever) to pick up support for these missing
modules??

Thanks,

Brad Rogers

Martin v. Löwis

It seems that the make process cannot find some of the shared
libraries. Is there some way to change the install process ( make,
config files or whatever) to pick up support for these missing
modules??

Yes. It probably has no problem finding the libraries, but, more
likely, problems finding the header files, and that is most likely
because you don't have them on your disk.

Install the -dev packages that are prerequisites for the individual
modules, and it should work out fine.

Regards,
Martin