Installing Python on a fileserver

Marco Aschwanden

Hi

I would like to install Python on a fileserver. All the machines (all
Win2K) should afterwards use this Python installation. The (Python) apps I
am developing will be as well placed on the fileserver.

My advantages would be:
- I have to keep only 1 Python installation up-to-date.
- (Frequent) changes of the apps are easily distributed by copying them to
the fileserver.

How do I install Python (on this fileserver)?
I am as well using other packages like wxWindows... anything to consider
there?
Are there special precautions on the client machines? Hopefully not.
(Paths? Dlls?)
Special considerations on using shortcuts to start the app?

The other possibility would be to pack the application with py2exe and put
the whole package onto the server... I would rather prefer the solution
with the python installation on the server...

Thanks for any hints in advance,
Regards,
Marco

Thorsten Kampe

* Marco Aschwanden (2004-10-22 10:46 +0200)
I would like to install Python on a fileserver. All the machines (all
Win2K) should afterwards use this Python installation. The (Python) apps I
am developing will be as well placed on the fileserver.

My advantages would be:
- I have to keep only 1 Python installation up-to-date.
- (Frequent) changes of the apps are easily distributed by copying them to
the fileserver.

How do I install Python (on this fileserver)?

Simply install it on the file server share.
I am as well using other packages like wxWindows... anything to consider
there?
No.

Are there special precautions on the client machines? Hopefully not.
(Paths? Dlls?)

If you don't know this you probably never installed Python on a
Windows machine. Of course all the file associations and registry
entries. Why don't you test it?
Special considerations on using shortcuts to start the app?

What "app"?

Thorsten

Daniel Dittmar

Marco said:
I am as well using other packages like wxWindows... anything to consider
there?

Make sure that all DLLs are copied to the directory containing
python.exe. Some DLLs (like those from wxWindows) are copied do
%SYSTEMROOT% by default.
Are there special precautions on the client machines? Hopefully not.
(Paths? Dlls?)

No. Python finds the files relative to python.exe, so it's not necessary
to enter somethhing into the registry.
Special considerations on using shortcuts to start the app?

If you have batch files on the share to start your application, make
sure that they contain the full network path to python.exe and the
script. At least earlier versions of cmd.exe would complaint that they
couldn't set the current directory to a network share. This is only a
problem if the share isn't connected as a drive, but accessed with
\\NETWORK notation.

Daniel

Marco Aschwanden

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:51:13 +0200, Daniel Dittmar

Very helpful. Thanks a lot!

cheers,
Marco