Installing Python on a Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mike Moum, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Mike Moum

    Mike Moum Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a civil engineer who also doubles as chief programmer for technical
    applications at my company. Most of our software is written in Visual
    Basic because our VP in charge of I.T. likes to have "consistency", and
    at the moment we're a Microsoft shop. He has assigned me the task of
    developing an new application, the exact nature of which is not
    important for my question. I told him that, in my opinion, that Visual
    Basic was not the best choice for developing this application, and that
    I wanted to use Python. After a bit of discussion of the pros and cons,
    he said to go ahead. I managed to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. :>)

    We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
    that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
    definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
    run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
    run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
    without having to install any Python components on the workstations
    themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
    libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that I'm
    developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
    workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.

    Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this? I've done some
    Google searching, with no conclusive results, and poked about on
    python.org, but haven't really been able to find anything. Normally I'd
    be happy to just try it out and see what happens, but we're breaking new
    ground here (this is an amazingly big step for our hide-bound IS
    department!), so I'd like everything to go as smoothly as possible.

    TIA,
    Mike

    Mike Moum, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Mike Moum

    Steve Holden Guest

    Mike Moum wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a civil engineer who also doubles as chief programmer for technical
    > applications at my company. Most of our software is written in Visual
    > Basic because our VP in charge of I.T. likes to have "consistency", and
    > at the moment we're a Microsoft shop. He has assigned me the task of
    > developing an new application, the exact nature of which is not
    > important for my question. I told him that, in my opinion, that Visual
    > Basic was not the best choice for developing this application, and that
    > I wanted to use Python. After a bit of discussion of the pros and cons,
    > he said to go ahead. I managed to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. :>)
    >
    > We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
    > that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
    > definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
    > run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
    > run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
    > without having to install any Python components on the workstations
    > themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
    > libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that I'm
    > developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
    > workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this? I've done some
    > Google searching, with no conclusive results, and poked about on
    > python.org, but haven't really been able to find anything. Normally I'd
    > be happy to just try it out and see what happens, but we're breaking new
    > ground here (this is an amazingly big step for our hide-bound IS
    > department!), so I'd like everything to go as smoothly as possible.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    Mike:

    Well done, sounds like you are in for a big success!

    What you describe sounds like a pretty normal setup, assuming that there
    is a network share accessible to all desktops that the Python binaries
    can be located on.

    Windows XP and 2000 run the same Python binaries, so there shouldn't be
    any problems. If I'm wrong this message will bring Tim Peters into the
    conversation, and his opinion can safely be regarded as authoritative
    (right, Tim?).

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Mike Moum

    Serge Orlov Guest

    Mike Moum wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a civil engineer who also doubles as chief programmer for
    > technical applications at my company. Most of our software is written
    > in Visual Basic because our VP in charge of I.T. likes to have
    > "consistency", and at the moment we're a Microsoft shop. He has
    > assigned me the task of developing an new application, the exact
    > nature of which is not important for my question. I told him that, in
    > my opinion, that Visual Basic was not the best choice for developing
    > this application, and that I wanted to use Python. After a bit of
    > discussion of the pros and cons, he said to go ahead. I managed to
    > keep my jaw from hitting the floor. :>)
    > We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
    > that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
    > definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
    > run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
    > run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
    > without having to install any Python components on the workstations
    > themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
    > libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that
    > I'm developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
    > workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this? I've done some
    > Google searching, with no conclusive results, and poked about on
    > python.org, but haven't really been able to find anything. Normally
    > I'd be happy to just try it out and see what happens, but we're
    > breaking new ground here (this is an amazingly big step for our
    > hide-bound IS department!), so I'd like everything to go as smoothly
    > as possible.

    Try Movable Python http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/
    When you will be creating a shortcut to you application it shouldn't
    point to yourapplication.py directly but rather at
    \\yourserver\movpy\movpyw.exe \\yourserver\yourapp\yourapplication.py

    Serge.

    Serge Orlov, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Mike Moum wrote:
    > We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
    > that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
    > definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
    > run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
    > run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
    > without having to install any Python components on the workstations
    > themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
    > libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that I'm
    > developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
    > workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.

    I would encourage you to try an "administrative" (or "network")
    installation. On the server, run msiexec /a python-2.4.1.msi.
    This will unpack the MSI file, and create a new one. You need
    to make the resulting installation a network share.

    Then, on each workstation, you install the msi file on the share,
    and specify that you want to run Python from the network share.

    This mode of installation is only available since Python 2.4, and
    very few people are probably using it, but I'd like to hear whether
    it works (it should, in principle).

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Apr 2, 2005