    disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
    also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.

    Many thanks

    Padraig, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Padraig

    Guest

    Padraig wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just a quick question... when I try to install Python on Windows Vista
    > Beta 2 the installer seems to hang after I select the destination
    > folder, saying that it will "return when it has finished calculating
    > disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
    > also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.

    > Many thanks

    I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
    to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

    , Jun 19, 2006

  3. Padraig

    Padraig Guest

    wrote:
    > Padraig wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Just a quick question... when I try to install Python on Windows Vista
    > > Beta 2 the installer seems to hang after I select the destination
    > > folder, saying that it will "return when it has finished calculating
    > > disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
    > > also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.
    > >
    > > Any help would be very much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Many thanks

    > I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
    > to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

    I don't think there is such a thing as an admin account under vista but
    I'm sure that the account I'm using is the Vista-equivalent of an admin
    account. Perhaps running it in compatibility mode might help. Will try
    that this evening... Thanks

    Padraig, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Padraig

    Padraig Guest

    wrote:
    > Padraig wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Just a quick question... when I try to install Python on Windows Vista
    > > Beta 2 the installer seems to hang after I select the destination
    > > folder, saying that it will "return when it has finished calculating
    > > disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
    > > also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.
    > >
    > > Any help would be very much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Many thanks

    > I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
    > to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

    I've managed to install it by using the msiexec command to manipulate
    windows installer directly. Running the installer in any mode that
    requires user input makes the installer hang when you choose the
    installation dir.

    I did an automated install with the following command:

    msiexec /i python-2.4.3.msi TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Python24"
    ALLUSERS=1 /qb

    The '/qb' only displays a progress bar and cancel button. This seems to
    bypass the installer problem. Wierd! I was going to try compatibility
    mode but it doesn't work for msi packages.

    Padraig, Jun 19, 2006