Installing Python on Windows Vista

Padraig

Hi all,

Just a quick question... when I try to install Python on Windows Vista
Beta 2 the installer seems to hang after I select the destination
folder, saying that it will "return when it has finished calculating
disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.

Many thanks

dakman

Padraig said:
Hi all,

Just a quick question... when I try to install Python on Windows Vista
Beta 2 the installer seems to hang after I select the destination
folder, saying that it will "return when it has finished calculating
disk space requirements". I just can't seem to get past that step. I've
also tried installing both 2.4.3 and 2.4.2 with no luck.

Many thanks

I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

Padraig

I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

I don't think there is such a thing as an admin account under vista but
I'm sure that the account I'm using is the Vista-equivalent of an admin
account. Perhaps running it in compatibility mode might help. Will try
that this evening... Thanks

Padraig

I've heard that Windows Vista has many restrictions on reading/writing
to the disk, perhaps you do not have an admin account?

I've managed to install it by using the msiexec command to manipulate
windows installer directly. Running the installer in any mode that
requires user input makes the installer hang when you choose the
installation dir.

I did an automated install with the following command:

msiexec /i python-2.4.3.msi TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Python24"
ALLUSERS=1 /qb

The '/qb' only displays a progress bar and cancel button. This seems to
bypass the installer problem. Wierd! I was going to try compatibility
mode but it doesn't work for msi packages.