Installing python under the linux

vedrandekovic

Hello,

I have problem with installing Python on the Linux platform.Can you
tell me step by step how can I install
python on linux ( please detailed ) , because I don't know anything
about linux and I really don't understand
python documentation about installing python on linux.

Thanks!!!

Grant Edwards

I have problem with installing Python on the Linux platform.Can you
tell me step by step how can I install
python on linux ( please detailed ) , because I don't know anything
about linux and I really don't understand
python documentation about installing python on linux.

Virtually all general-purpose server or client Linux distros
already have Python installed.

If you've managed to find one that doesn't, then you've got two
choices:

1) Install it using the package manager for the distro in
question.

2) Build/Install it from source.

For somebody who knows so little about Linux, I'd strongly
recommend option 1. We can't give you step-by-step
instructions unless you tell us what distro you're running.

Danyelle Gragsone

Greetings,

Python is usally already installed on most distros. In a terminal
window type "python" to see if something happens. Also please provide
what distro you are running.

Danyelle

vedrandekovic

Danyelle Gragsone je napisao/la:
Greetings,

Python is usally already installed on most distros. In a terminal
window type "python" to see if something happens. Also please provide
what distro you are running.

Danyelle

Helo,

Probably my distro is "ubuntu" <--- I don't what is it, and ' want
install/build python from source

Grant Edwards

Probably my distro is "ubuntu" <--- I don't what is it, and '
want install/build python from source

You probably already have Python installed.

Open a terminal.

Type "python" and press <Enter>.

Grant Edwards

You probably already have Python installed.

You most certainly have the basic python installed already.
It's one of the required packates for Ubunto. If you want to
do programming, you may want to install some extra stuff like
Idle:

http://www.onecore.net/how-topython-programming-under-ubuntu.htm

Quoting from the page above:

"Ubuntu comes up with the command line version of python
pre-installed."

I really do not recommend installing from source for somebody
like you who knows nothing about Python or Linux. Can explain
why you think you want to install Python from source instead of
using the Python that's already installed on your computer?

Danyelle Gragsone

Hi,

Yeah .. if its ubuntu then you have python already installed. I would
suggest that you start reading the documentation on your distro. How
did you get your distro if you don't know what it is? That concerns
me a bit. Ubuntu has alot of documentation as well as a help channel
on irc. irc.freenode.net #ubuntu. You can pull up alot of
documentation by just typing "ubuntu documentation" or "ubuntu guides"
in google.

good luck!
Danyelle

vedrandekovic

Danyelle Gragsone je napisao/la:
Hi,

Yeah .. if its ubuntu then you have python already installed. I would
suggest that you start reading the documentation on your distro. How
did you get your distro if you don't know what it is? That concerns
me a bit. Ubuntu has alot of documentation as well as a help channel
on irc. irc.freenode.net #ubuntu. You can pull up alot of
documentation by just typing "ubuntu documentation" or "ubuntu guides"
in google.

good luck!
Danyelle

Hi again,

This previously was very useful THANKS. I just want ask you is there,
is there any folder with that basic Python
on ubuntu linux where can I find file "Grammar" and change the names
of python keywords.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Boddie

I really do not recommend installing from source for somebody
like you who knows nothing about Python or Linux. Can explain
why you think you want to install Python from source instead of
using the Python that's already installed on your computer?

The inquirer has previously shown an interest in changing Python's
keywords, so although recommending that someone use the installed
Python remains sound advice for most situations, I think compilation
from source is the only way to go here, at least for Python 2.4 and
earlier - I don't know what grammar tricks were added to Python 2.5
and later, but I imagine that you'd still need to compile everything
after modifying any grammar description file that may be provided.

To compile from source, the inquirer should read the README file
provided in the source distribution, paying attention at the very
least to the section entitled "If you don't read instructions". The
source distribution is found here:

http://www.python.org/download/

Paul

Stefan Behnel

is there any folder with that basic Python
on ubuntu linux where can I find file "Grammar" and change the names
of python keywords.

AFAICT, the Grammar file is not part of the binary installation.

So, download the Python source distribution from python.org and unpack it if
you want to play with it.

Stefan

vedrandekovic

Hello,
No. The only way to change the keywords would be to edit the
Python source and re-compile it.

This was very helpful information , I already know that but I don't
know how
to that.PLEASE HELP ME ABOUT THIS, I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU.

( IF you can please step by step how to I install that source )

THANKS!!!!!!!!

Diez B. Roggisch

Hello,

This was very helpful information , I already know that but I don't
know how
to that.PLEASE HELP ME ABOUT THIS, I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU.

( IF you can please step by step how to I install that source )

Stop shouting. Start reading this:

And for god's sake, follow the suggestions you got when asking the same
question over and over: Stop trying to do what you want to do - altering
python. That is _NOT_ the way to go. Especially not if someone is obviously
not skilled enough to really dig into the guts of the interpreter.

Instead, tell us what you really want. Write a preprocessor to alter your
user's code to become python code.

Diez

Grant Edwards

Stop shouting. Start reading this:

And for god's sake, follow the suggestions you got when asking
the same question over and over: Stop trying to do what you
want to do - altering python. That is _NOT_ the way to go.

He's also already been told where to download the source and
pointed towards instructions on building and installing it. He
seems rather impervious to help.

Evan Klitzke

Hello,

This was very helpful information , I already know that but I don't
know how
to that.PLEASE HELP ME ABOUT THIS, I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU.

( IF you can please step by step how to I install that source )

You need to execute the following commands:

apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
apt-get source python
apt-get build-dep python
cd python-some-more-stuff-here-and-a-version-number
(make the changes you want to make)
sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

If you need more help building the deb, you should ask on the Ubuntu
mailing lists.