Installing Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot in Linux

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Ruby Noob

    Ruby Noob Guest

    Hi,

    I just installed the latest stable snapshot of Ruby but I'm not sure if
    the install went 100% fine. I'm running RedHat Advanced Server 3 and
    I've also installed mod_ruby 1.2.4.

    What I did:

    cd /usr/local/src/ruby
    ../configure
    make
    make test -> success
    make install
    ruby --version -> displays "ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]" :)

    Why I'm confused:

    a. rpm -qa -> "ruby-libs-1.8.1-12" (not sure why this shows up)

    b. /usr/local/lib/libruby-static.a exists and is up-to-date :)
    but libruby.so does not exist in this directory

    c. /usr/lib/libruby.so.1.8 points to libruby.so.1.8.1
    both of these are months old and in different dir from (b)

    What I expected:

    I expected ruby to be version 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) everywhere
    (interpreter, static lib, and shared lib). But it seems the shared libs
    aren't updated to the latest version.

    What am I doing wrong?
     
    Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ruby Noob

    Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Ruby Noob wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed the latest stable snapshot of Ruby but I'm not sure if the
    > install went 100% fine. I'm running RedHat Advanced Server 3 and I've also
    > installed mod_ruby 1.2.4.
    >
    > What I did:
    >
    > cd /usr/local/src/ruby
    > ./configure
    > make
    > make test -> success
    > make install
    > ruby --version -> displays "ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]" :)
    >
    > Why I'm confused:
    >
    > a. rpm -qa -> "ruby-libs-1.8.1-12" (not sure why this shows up)
    >
    > b. /usr/local/lib/libruby-static.a exists and is up-to-date :)
    > but libruby.so does not exist in this directory
    >
    > c. /usr/lib/libruby.so.1.8 points to libruby.so.1.8.1
    > both of these are months old and in different dir from (b)
    >
    > What I expected:
    >
    > I expected ruby to be version 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) everywhere (interpreter,
    > static lib, and shared lib). But it seems the shared libs aren't updated to
    > the latest version.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?


    nothing. you've installed without using an rpm and so rpm database has not
    been updated. you've got two versions now - one in /usr and one under
    /usr/local. you've got a couple of options:

    - do nothing, have two rubys

    - figure out how to make an rpm out of the 1.8.2 tar ball and update (as root)
    using that

    - clobber rpm install (configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install)
    and forget about rpms

    someone more knowing might be able to fill in the bits about making an rpm.

    regards.

    -a
    --
    ===============================================================================
    | EMAIL :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
    | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki
    ===============================================================================
     
    , Oct 26, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ruby Noob

    Ruby Noob Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Ruby Noob wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just installed the latest stable snapshot of Ruby but I'm not sure
    >> if the install went 100% fine. I'm running RedHat Advanced Server 3
    >> and I've also installed mod_ruby 1.2.4.
    >>
    >> What I did:
    >>
    >> cd /usr/local/src/ruby
    >> ./configure
    >> make
    >> make test -> success
    >> make install
    >> ruby --version -> displays "ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]" :)
    >>
    >> Why I'm confused:
    >>
    >> a. rpm -qa -> "ruby-libs-1.8.1-12" (not sure why this shows up)
    >>
    >> b. /usr/local/lib/libruby-static.a exists and is up-to-date :)
    >> but libruby.so does not exist in this directory
    >>
    >> c. /usr/lib/libruby.so.1.8 points to libruby.so.1.8.1
    >> both of these are months old and in different dir from (b)
    >>
    >> What I expected:
    >>
    >> I expected ruby to be version 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) everywhere
    >> (interpreter, static lib, and shared lib). But it seems the shared
    >> libs aren't updated to the latest version.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    >
    >
    > nothing. you've installed without using an rpm and so rpm database has not
    > been updated. you've got two versions now - one in /usr and one under
    > /usr/local. you've got a couple of options:
    >
    > - do nothing, have two rubys
    >
    > - figure out how to make an rpm out of the 1.8.2 tar ball and update
    > (as root)
    > using that
    >
    > - clobber rpm install (configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make
    > install)
    > and forget about rpms
    >
    > someone more knowing might be able to fill in the bits about making an rpm.
    >
    > regards.
    >
    > -a
    > --
    > ===============================================================================
    >
    > | EMAIL :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
    > | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    > | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
    > | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki
    > ===============================================================================
    >


    Thanks!

    By the way, should doing a "make && make install" install any
    rubylib.so* files? If so, shouldn't I have a rubylib.so.1.8.2 somewhere?
     
    Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004
    #3
  4. Ruby Noob

    Guest

    Hi,

    At Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:49:09 +0900,
    Ruby Noob wrote in [ruby-talk:117766]:
    > By the way, should doing a "make && make install" install any
    > rubylib.so* files? If so, shouldn't I have a rubylib.so.1.8.2 somewhere?


    configure --enable-shared

    --
    Nobu Nakada
     
    , Oct 26, 2004
    #4
  5. Ruby Noob

    Ruby Noob Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:49:09 +0900,
    > Ruby Noob wrote in [ruby-talk:117766]:
    >
    >>By the way, should doing a "make && make install" install any
    >>rubylib.so* files? If so, shouldn't I have a rubylib.so.1.8.2 somewhere?

    >
    >
    > configure --enable-shared
    >


    Thanks!
     
    Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Randy Lawrence

    stable-snapshot = Ruby 1.8.2

    Randy Lawrence, May 23, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    109
    Randy Lawrence
    May 23, 2004
  2. Charles Comstock

    [BUG] Latest Ruby Stable Snapshot

    Charles Comstock, May 24, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    112
  3. Ruby Noob
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    133
    Yukihiro Matsumoto
    Oct 27, 2004
  4. Peña, Botp
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    105
    Peña, Botp
    Oct 11, 2006
  5. benr75
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    121
    Eric Hodel
    Mar 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page