Installing Ruby from source on OSX

Drew Olson

I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
done this before.

Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
comes to installing from source?

Curtis Schofield

I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
done this before.

Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
comes to installing from source?

/configure --prefix=/usr/local/ruby-1.85 && make && sudo make install

?

Charles Oliver Nutter

Drew said:
I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
done this before.

I'm running off DarwinPorta (MacPorts) and it is already 1.8.5. Make
sure your ports are up-to-date. (port selfupdate)

Nutters-Computer:~/Documents/workspace/jruby headius$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i686-darwin8.7.1]

Erik J. Barzeski

Drew,

Drew Olson said:
I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
done this before.

Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
comes to installing from source?

I followed the instructions at Hivelogic[1]. I ran into one problem, but
solved that in the comments at my blog[2]. Other URLs that may help or point
to common errors are included afterwards [3, 4]

1:
<http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger>
2:
<http://nslog.com/archives/2006/10/04/building_ruby_rails_lighttpd_and_mysql
_on_tiger.php>

3:
<http://www.nabble.com/Ruby-1.8.4-Mac-OS-X-readline-problems-t801880.html>
4: <http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/83481>

Curtis Schofield

I have no idea.

Neither do i know what sort of options they want

/configure --help