Installing Ruby - miniruby require error

Bill

Hi,

I'm trying to install ruby 1.8.6 on OS X.5. make is failing while
running miniruby mkconfig.rb while trying to require "fileutils". The
oh-so-helpful error is simply "Abort trap". This file exists in the
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/
folder. I suspect there is a path that's not being set correctly, but
am unable to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Gunnar

Bill said:
Hi,

I'm trying to install ruby 1.8.6 on OS X.5. make is failing while
running miniruby mkconfig.rb while trying to require "fileutils". The
oh-so-helpful error is simply "Abort trap". This file exists in the
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/
folder. I suspect there is a path that's not being set correctly, but
am unable to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.
Hi
Can only offer this link, worked for me
http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel-mysql-osx

Michal Suchanek

For me it does that because it loads the extensions form the
previously installed ruby.
I reported the problem but no sufficiently non-invasive solution was
found. Since miniruby tries to load even extensions that are not built
yet one would have to patch ruby to provide an option not to load the
standard extensions (not including the standard lookup path).

However, for you it should be solved by configuring ruby with a prefix
such as /opt/ruby.

That way you would not overwrite the system installation and would not
get problems with previously installed extensions.

If you do not care about the system installation just move it away,
including any /usr/lib/libruby*, otherwise building the ruby
interpreter fails (the linking issue will be hopefully fixed in next
version).

Thanks

Michal