installing ruby on MacOS X

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Steven Marcus, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Hi all!

    Ruby newbie here.

    I'd like to install and work with Ruby 1.8.x on MacOS X.
    I have found
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh
    and
    http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000199.html
    to be helpful.

    It appears that my options are
    1) download the source and compile it myself
    2) download a binary and install it
    3) install via darwinports
    4) install via fink

    After installation I believe I can add ruby libraries
    1) manually
    2) as Ruby Gems
    3) from the RAA
    4) via darwinports if using 3 above
    5) via fink if using 4 above

    I imagine there are a number of trade offs to the above approaches.
    Also, there appears to be overlap between (darwinports|fink) and gems
    and RAA. As I write this darwinports appears to have a more active
    ruby community, judging from the fact that it offers 58 ports versus
    16 for fink.

    I'd like things to be painless and relatively automatic. By automatic, I
    mean that installing and especially upgrading libraries should be
    quick and painless.

    Can someone share their experience?

    TIA
    Steven Marcus

    Steven Marcus, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Hello,

    I'm using Darwinports for ruby and some other libraries like
    ruby-postgresql, mainly for its similarity to freebsd ports (I'm using
    freebsd on production servers) and community around Darwinports. And
    gems for other packages. And I can say it works quick nad painless for
    me.

    Fink seems little bit "unordered" for myself, but it's quite long time
    ago I looked at it. For comparing RPA and Gems you should look to some
    older threads on this mailing list
    (http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/114892
    just for first look).

    Hope it helps.

    Pepe

    Josef Pospíšil, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Steven Marcus

    Sam Goldman Guest

    I installed from source. In order to not overlap with the copy in /usr,
    I installed into /opt and put that in the beginning of my path. I didn't
    install into /usr/local because I have things in there I don't
    necessarily want at the beginning of my path (e.g. an updated version of
    zlib for special things, while I still want the default to link to the
    dylib in /usr)

    After that, anything I installed (either gems or source) use the copy in
    /opt and install into /opt. The system works fairly well.

    Ruby also seems to have its own versioning system, where directories
    within /usr/lib/ruby indicate the version of the library used.

    Sam Goldman, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Steven Marcus

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>, Sam Goldman <> wrote:
    >I installed from source. In order to not overlap with the copy in /usr,
    >I installed into /opt and put that in the beginning of my path. I didn't

    darwinports puts ruby in /opt as well.

    I also installed ruby from darwinports.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Nov 2, 2004
  5. Steven Marcus

    Robert Guest

    Steven Marcus <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Ruby newbie here.
    >
    > I'd like to install and work with Ruby 1.8.x on MacOS X.
    > I have found
    > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh
    > and
    > http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000199.html
    > to be helpful.
    >
    > It appears that my options are
    > 1) download the source and compile it myself
    > 2) download a binary and install it
    > 3) install via darwinports
    > 4) install via fink
    >
    > After installation I believe I can add ruby libraries
    > 1) manually
    > 2) as Ruby Gems
    > 3) from the RAA
    > 4) via darwinports if using 3 above
    > 5) via fink if using 4 above
    >
    > I imagine there are a number of trade offs to the above approaches.
    > Also, there appears to be overlap between (darwinports|fink) and gems
    > and RAA. As I write this darwinports appears to have a more active
    > ruby community, judging from the fact that it offers 58 ports versus
    > 16 for fink.

    > I'd like things to be painless and relatively automatic. By automatic, I
    > mean that installing and especially upgrading libraries should be
    > quick and painless.
    >
    > Can someone share their experience?
    >
    > TIA
    > Steven Marcus