    =20

    Ron

    =20
    Steckly, Ron, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Steckly, Ron

    fw Guest

    On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 02:22 +0900, Steckly, Ron wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >

    > I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of regret
    > it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
    > apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
    > you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
    > came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?
    >

    > Ron

    RHEL 4:
    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals..._Administration_Guide/Package_Management.html

    RHEL 5:
    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals...EL510/Deployment_Guide/pt-pkg-management.html

    HTH,

    Felix
    fw, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Steckly, Ron

    s.ross Guest

    On Jan 25, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >

    > I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of
    > regret
    > it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
    > apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
    > you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
    > came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?

    I'm running the same setup and I ftp downloaded it from the 1.8.6p111
    sources, built it and it installed without a hitch. I then rebuilt
    rubygems and life has been wonderful ever since :)

    It's hard to learn from "works for me" stories, but the build process
    is quite straightforward.
    s.ross, Jan 25, 2008
  4. On Jan 25, 2008 10:22 AM, Steckly, Ron <> wrote:
    > you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat?

    If you are looking for a precompiled Ruby RPM that was tested on RHEL
    (by the way, which version?), one place you can get it is the RPM repo
    of RubyWorks Production Stack:
    http://rubyworks.rubyforge.org/redhat/<version>

    It has more than just Ruby, but Ruby RPM is there somewhere, too.

    --
    Alexey Verkhovsky
    CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
    Alexey Verkhovsky, Jan 27, 2008
  5. On Jan 25, 5:22 pm, "Steckly, Ron" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of regret
    > it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
    > apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
    > you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
    > came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?

    There are Ruby RPM's for most versions of Redhat - someone pointed you
    a repository, so I won't go there further.

    However, depending on what repositories have already been added to
    your
    VPS, try this first:

    up2date -i ruby

    If that doesn't work (doesn't find a package), try:

    yum install ruby

    Note that you can install and use apt-get on Redhat too if you like:
    http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/apt/
    Vidar Hokstad, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Steckly, Ron

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    On Jan 28, 2008 7:09 AM, Vidar Hokstad <> wrote:
    > There are Ruby RPM's for most versions of Redhat - someone pointed you
    > a repository, so I won't go there further.

    Actually there really aren't modern ruby rpms for most RedHat
    versions. Going back to RHEL 4 isn't really "most" ;) The shop I'm
    working at doesn't like to upgrade old installs if they're working
    well, so we've got several RHEL 2.1 boxes still.

    Anyway, if anyone needs a modern ruby rpm (1.8.6 stable snapshot) for
    rather older RHEL installs, like 2.1AS, I made one, and it's doing
    pretty well on some production systems (running scripts and such, not
    ruby itself running the production software on these boxes).

    --Kyle
    Kyle Schmitt, Jan 28, 2008