installing ruby on Ubuntu Gutsy

Robert Citek

Just wanted to post my notes on how I was able to install Ruby and Gem
on Ubuntu Gutsy:

$ sudo apt-get install ruby ruby1.8-examples rdoc ri libruby-extras rubygems

$ ruby -v

$ gem -v
/usr/bin/gem:23: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner (NameError)

$ sudo ruby -i.bak \
-lne 'print "require \047rubygems/gem_runner\047" \
if /^require /; print' /usr/bin/gem

$ gem -v
1.0.1

$ sudo gem update --system