installing ruby on Ubuntu Gutsy

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Robert Citek, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. Robert Citek

    Robert Citek Guest

    Just wanted to post my notes on how I was able to install Ruby and Gem
    on Ubuntu Gutsy:

    $ sudo apt-get install ruby ruby1.8-examples rdoc ri libruby-extras rubygems

    $ ruby -v

    $ gem -v
    /usr/bin/gem:23: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner (NameError)

    $ sudo ruby -i.bak \
    -lne 'print "require \047rubygems/gem_runner\047" \
    if /^require /; print' /usr/bin/gem

    $ gem -v
    1.0.1

    $ sudo gem update --system